Never has such a simple to make apple date cake tasted so amazing and looked so decadent!
There is something special about this cake. My mom came back from Indonesia with this recipe for me, a cake that my aunt had made while she was there. Now my mom is not someone who really collects cake recipes all that much so the way she was going on about it, I knew I had to make it!
I’ve been making this cake for years now and I have yet to come across anyone who is not wowed by it. And yet…..it is seriously SO simple to make! And quick. It makes an incredible pudding too – I should know, I’ve made it in all different shapes and sizes and it never fails to impress. We had this cake at my sister in laws baby shower, I made it in a sheet pan, doubled the recipe and cut the cake into little squares for bite size treats. It went down really well.
Another recipe that never fails to impress, admittedly in a more subtle way – they’re a family favourite and for good reason. They are my gran’s original golden tea time crunchies. You have to try these, they are A….mazing. And one more little gem you won’t want to miss is my lemon drizzle silk cake with cream cheese icing, perfect for a birthday cake or a tea time get together.
I digress, back to the apple date cake – it is low on sugar and high in fruit so it’s not your typical heavy super sweet cake either. It ticks all the boxes for me and I can’t get enough.
Did I mention the coconut crunch topping is to die for? I don’t think I did…..It’s to DIE for….It’s caramel-y and toffee-ish and coconut-y and crunchy and need I say more? The coconut topping really compliments the apples in the cake, now I’m dying for a piece! This cake doesn’t need anything with it because it’s perfect all by it’s lonesome, but if you want to be extra decadent you can serve it with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
Please let me know if you make it and how much you love it.
- 2 cups pealed, chopped cooking apples
- 1 cup pitted dates, chopped
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¾ cup boiling water
- 125g butter
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1½ cups flour, sieved
- pinch of salt
- 50g butter
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp golden syrup
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 cup coconut
- In a bowl, combine apples, dates, baking soda and boiling water, set aside and allow to cool.
- Cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light, add egg and vanilla, beat to combine.
- Place sifted flour and salt in a bowl and add alternately with apple and date mixture to creamed mixture.
- Spoon into 20cm greased round cake tin.
- Bake at 180 for about 60mins.
- Gently melt butter, brown sugar and golden syrup together in a sauce pan, once the sugar granules have mostly dissolved, take off the heat and add milk and coconut, mixing well. (This step must be done on the stovetop, it doesn’t work as well if you use the microwave)
- Spoon topping over cooked cake and return to oven until topping is golden, about 10 mins, keep an eye on it, it browns quickly.
- Leave in cake tin to cool, then cut your slices and serve.
This is quite a tricky cake to turn out once cool, so I cut my slices while the cake is still in the cake tin, and serve.