It’s a classic chicken sandwich with a refreshing twist…
They say ideas are like hiccups – they appear out of nowhere. That’s exactly how the idea to make this sandwich came to me, it just hit me this morning that a chicken, caramelised onion and & pear sandwich is just what I needed for my lunch. I’ve never tried anything like it so I’m not sure why it seemed like such a good idea, but believe me, a good idea it was!
Maybe it was because this is the second day in a row that we seem to have regressed back into winter here on the dolphin coast. There is an icy wind blowing and dark clouds keep rolling by, occasionally the heavens open and a heavy downpour hits the earth. This kind of weather always makes me feel like something filling and extra satisfying. Or maybe I just had a stroke of sandwich genius – either way, I’m super excited about this little creation.
Speaking of filling and satisfying cold weather dishes, if you’re in the mood for something to warm you up, you should check out my lentil, sweet potato & tomato stew. Or my baked herby meatballs in tomato sauce.
The flavours are all quite subtle on their own, but put them together and they combine to make one delicious morsel of a sandwich. A generous spread of cream cheese, topped with slices of roast chicken breast, a mountain of caramelised golden brown onions, finished off with slices of ripe semi sweet pear and closed up with more cream cheese and a second slice of fresh french bread. Mm..mmm, the tummy rumbles at the thought.
- 8 Slices Roast Chicken
- 2 medium Onions
- 1 Pear
- Cream Cheese (I used Simonsberg Medium Fat Cream Cheese Plain)
- 4 slices french bread (I used the Artisan Baker Seed Loaf)
- a few basil leaves
- 1½ tbsps olive oil
- 1 tsp honey
- In a small saucepan heat olive oil on med heat, slice the onions thinly into rounds and place in the sauce pan. Stir occasionally until they start to brown, and then stir continuously until they are golden and glassy and cooked to your liking. Take off the heat and add the honey, stirring until all the onions are coated and shiny. Set aside to cool.
- Slice the bread, spread cream cheese on all 4 slices.
- Slice pear into thin slices and arrange on 2 slices of bread.
- Carve enough roast chicken breast for both sandwiches and arrange on the other two slices of toast, place caramelised onions on top of the chicken. Then add the basil leaves.
- Close sandwiches and slice into two, serve and enjoy.