Possibly the most decadent oat-y cookie on the planet… Chocolate Peanut Butter Crunchies!
The humble crunchie has been a staple in my life ever since I was little – I love them in all forms, shapes, sizes, flavours, healthy, semi-healthy, and completely decadent. I’m here to share with you today THE MOST INDULGENT CRUNCHIE I have ever made and I may just never make any other kind ever again (ok, maybe I will, but these are definitely my “cheat day” go-to cookie!).
These are AH – MAY – ZING!!!
A few more cookie recipes for you…make my Gran’s Original Golden Tea Time Crunchies, my Spiced Festive Ginger & Syrup Cookies, my Oaty Raisin Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies and my Apricot & Cranberry No Bake Bars.
A few heaped tablespoons of cocoa for rich, chocolatey flavour, a little coffee to further enhance the chocolate, some generous dollops of peanut butter for pea-nutty creaminess and a soft centre, a sprinkle of cinnamon to add a little spice and brown sugar and syrup for just the right amount of sweetness. The yumminess is just too much!!
Of course the rolled oats and flour and desiccated coconut make up the bulk of these Chocolate Peanut Butter Crunchies and contribute to the crunchy-on-the-outside-soft-in-the-middle AMAZINGNESS. Grab a hot cuppa or a glass of milk and let’s curl up and enjoy one or two (maybe three?!) of these little beauties.
First things first though, you’ll have to mooch into the kitchen, grab an apron and make a batch!! They only take 15 minutes to whip up and press into a baking pan, and about 15 minutes to cook. That’s only 30 minutes on the clock between YOU and GLORIOUS crunchie time!! Let’s do it.
Hey, you guys? Did you know that next Sunday is mother’s day? Pretty sure you did. I’ve been pondering on what I’ll be making for my mom to celebrate her and I have a few ideas up my sleeve. Next week I’ll be sharing 3 great ideas of yum things you can bake for your mom to make her feel special, so basically I’ve got your mother’s day eats covered! You’re welcome.
These Chocolate Peanut Butter Crunchies are SO going to make your heart happy and I’m so excited for you to try them. Let me know what you think!!
- ½ cup plain flour
- 2½ tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¾ cup butter
- 2 tbsp peanut butter (sugar & salt free)
- 1½ tbsp syrup
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 tsp instant coffee powder
- Preheat oven to 170°C.
- Melt butter, peanut butter and syrup in a small saucepan. Stir in the baking soda, then the vanilla essence and coffee and set aside.
- Mix dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl and then stir in the butter mixture until well combined.
- Press into an oblong baking pan. You want them about 1cm thick, if your pan is too big don’t worry, just finish off the edge neatly by pushing the mixture into a straight line (and leave an empty bit of pan), they won’t change shape much.
- Bake for about 15 - 20 minutes. They’ll be soft when you take them out of the oven but they’ll crisp up on the outside as they cool.
- Cut them into squares when they are still ever so slightly warm to the touch, then take them out of the pan and allow to cool completely on a cooling rack.