Perfect for Easter weekend, my Coconut Almond Greek Yoghurt Sheet Cake for coconut fanatics!
This sheet cake is great for Easter Sunday, which is just around the corner – only 2 weeks away to be exact. Which got me wondering what would be a fun alternative dessert or tea time treat for Easter? I wanted to make something that was simple, pretty and totally delicious.
Take a look at these other sweet treat ideas for Easter – Double Glazed Spanish Puff Pastry Twists, these Dairy & Sugar Free Almond Chocolate Truffles, this Chocolate Brownie Cake (Sugar Free) and this Lemon Drizzle Silk Cake with Cream Cheese Icing.
My Coconut Almond Greek Yoghurt Sheet Cake is all of those things, and your little ones will love it too! This is definitely a special occasion cake, there’s not too much that’s healthy about this one. But who’s counting calories on Easter Sunday anyway??!
Overflowing with COCONUT, this cake is made with coconut flour, coconut milk, coconut oil and desiccated coconut. I don’t think I could have made it more coconutty if I tried!! But that’s the whole point of this cake – it’s not for the shy when it comes to coconut!! There is a subtle hint of almond in the cake itself and in the coconut icing which just takes this cake to another level!
This sheet cake settles really well, so you could even make it the day before, store it in the sheet pan covered with silver foil overnight, and ice it the day you serve it.
For extra indulgence serve this cake with vanilla ice cream as a dessert….It’s so moist it can easily double as a pudding. I’m imagining a slice of gorgeous white coconut cake served with vanilla ice cream, topped with a few pastel coloured candy coated chocolate easter eggs! How stunning would that look? Your friends and family will be so impressed!!
I’m so excited for you to try this new cake recipe….I hope you love it, and I’m looking forward to hearing how your baking adventures go!!
Here’s the recipe!
- FOR THE COCONUT CAKE:
- DRY INGREDIENTS:
- 3 cups cake flour
- ½ cup coconut flour
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- WET INGREDIENTS:
- 2 cups Greek yoghurt
- 1 cup coconut milk
- ⅓ cup coconut oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp almond essence
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- FOR THE ICING:
- ¼ cup Greek Yoghurt
- ⅛ cup coconut milk
- ¼ tsp almond essence
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- TO MAKE THE COCONUT CAKE:
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Grease a 30 x 20 cm (12 x 8 inch) sheet pan.
- Sieve the cake flour into a mixing bowl, then stir in the coconut flour, desiccated coconut, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In another mixing bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients and then stir them into the dry ingredients, make sure to incorporate all the dry ingredients off the bottom of the bowl - it will be quite dense but not dry.
- Pour the cake mixture into the sheet pan and spread out evenly. Bake for about 30 minutes until a tester stick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before icing the cake in the sheet pan, then cut the cake into squares and serve.
- TO MAKE THE ICING:
- In a mixing bowl, stir the Greek yoghurt, coconut milk and almond essence together, then sieve in the icing sugar and stir in, then add the desiccated coconut and stir in.