Every Friday needs a little treat!
There is nothing better than having your house smelling of freshly baked cookies is there?! Such an inviting and comforting fragrance wafting from the oven conjures up so many memories of happy baking days for me. I love to bake sweet treats and desserts for family and friends, it’s my all time favourite thing to do. There’s no better feeling than seeing your special people enjoying something you have made just for them. It’s probably what I love most about cooking.
Somehow these cookies made their way into my life, and I couldn’t be happier about it. Any time I get to bake with peanut butter is a good day in my books and so today was doubly good – Cookies + Peanut Butter = Happy Me!
I must admit it took me a few rounds to get these little guys right. But it was all worth it now that I have a delicious recipe to enjoy and make again and again….And most importantly to share with all of YOU, my lovely food loving friends!
These Oaty Raisin Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies are a perfect tea time treat, delicious with coffee or a great lunch box snack. Once you have one you’ll be hooked! As usual they are light on sugar and butter, I used honey to sweeten them a little bit more and coconut oil to round out the ingredients. So while they’re an every now and then treat – they are definitely on the “healthier” side!
I for one am excited it’s Friday! I hope you all have some fun plans for the weekend and I hope they include delicious food and perhaps some Oaty Raisin Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies?? Yes yes!! Bake them now! Here’s how easy they are…..
- FOR THE COOKIES:
- ½ cup butter at room temperature
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup coconut oil melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1 cup brown flour
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground mixed spice
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup raisins
- FOR THE PEANUT BUTTER FILLING:
- 2½ tbsp peanut butter (salt & sugar free)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- ½ tbsp honey
- TO MAKE THE COOKIES:
- Preheat the oven to 170°C. Line two baking trays with greaseproof paper.
- In a bowl cream the butter and sugar with an electric beater. Beat in the eggs one at a time until well combined. Stir in the vanilla extract, honey and coconut oil.
- In another bowl, stir the flour, cornstarch, spices, baking soda and salt together. Pour the flour mixture in with the butter mixture and stir in. Stir in the honey, then the oats and then the raisins.
- Place the cookies on the baking trays by dropping 1 tablespoon of mixture onto the tray per cookie. Flatten to about 1cm with the back of a tablespoon.
- Bake the cookies in the middle of the oven for 15 minutes until golden.
- Take out of the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes on the baking tray and then transfer to cooking racks to cool completely.
- TO MAKE THE PEANUT BUTTER FILLING:
- Beat the peanut butter, coconut oil and honey together in a bowl with a metal spoon until the mixture lightens a little and is glossy.
- Spread a layer of filling on the bottom of one cookie with a butter knife, and sandwich closed with another cookie.
- Store in an airtight container, they will keep for a few days.