The perfect weeknight dinner!
Somehow we’ve hit Thursday already, is it just me or are these weeks flying by faster all the time? In some ways it’s a great feeling because there’s never a dull moment, in other ways I feel like life could slow down just a teensy bit…More moments to enjoy home baked muffins like my Healthy Chocolate Banana & Apple Muffins that I made earlier this week, and more time for lazy evening beach walks!
BUT time waits for no man.
Which is why I’m so excited about this One Pan Creamy Basil Chicken & Rice Casserole – it takes 20 minutes to prepare and while it’s cooking away in a nice hot oven you can get on with other things. 55 minutes later you have a steaming, bubbling, aromatic, SERIOUSLY tasty basil chicken & rice dinner that the whole family will love.
The simple ingredients for this one pot meal include chicken breasts, basil, onion, garlic, carrots, celery, chicken broth, coconut milk and brown rice. So simple, so scrumptious! And hardly any washing up!!
There would be no shame in serving this one pan dish just as is…In fact I’d encourage it, it’s a proudly stand alone dinner. If you want to though, you can serve it with a salad. Need some ideas? Take a look at my Red Cabbage Spinach & Beetroot Detox Salad, my Pecan Cranberry & Avocado Salad with Orange Dressing and my Mexican Chopped Corn, Vine Tomato & Kale Salad.
There are few dishes that hold as much flavour, texture and colour as this One Pan Creamy Basil Chicken & Rice Casserole. A true feast for the eyes and the tummy!!
You’ll want to make this for your family and friends again and again. Such a great quick and easy go to dinner where flavour is not sacrificed in any way.
That’s enough talk, let’s head to the kitchen and try it!! Don’t forget to let me know what you think, I’d love to hear from you.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 brown onion finely chopped
- 2 large chicken breasts sliced into 1 inch cubes
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 carrots grated
- 4 sticks celery chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 small handful basil leaves pulled from the stalks
- Salt & pepper
- 2 cups brown rice (I used brown & wild rice)
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Pour the olive oil into a roasting pan with the onions and garlic, give it a stir and place in the hot oven for 5 minutes. Increase heat to 210°C.
- Take the pan out of the oven and add the chicken, celery, carrots, broth and ½ cup coconut milk. Put the casserole back in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Add the remaining ½ cup coconut milk, basil, salt and pepper to the casserole and evenly pour the rice over, press the rice down gently with a wooden spoon until it is covered with liquid. Bake for another 40 minutes until the rice is cooked and most of the liquid has been absorbed.