The most delicious, quick and easy Oven Baked Healthy Vegan Falafel.
Feast your eyes on those little golden nuggets of Oven Baked Healthy Vegan Falafel wholesome greatness right up there ^^^ it just doesn’t get any better!
I have loved falafel for quite a few years now…but my one and only attempt to make falafel (before today that is), was umm, not really what I would call a success. A bit of a flop to be precise. The problem was that I tried to make them with lentils instead of chickpeas. AND I got the whole consistency wrong…they were so dry. Bummer.
Take a moment to check out my Hearty Black Pepper Mushroom Chickpea Soup, Roast Beet Butternut Basil Goat Cheese Salad, my Green Goddess Pesto Pasta Salad, my 5 Ingredient Healthy Pickled Beets and Clean Eating Carrot Turmeric Ginger Soup.
That little incident didn’t deter me from eating other people’s falafel though, quite the opposite. I was intrigued by the little chickpea creatures, and I have always wanted to have a falafel recipe that was non-daunting. Meaning: quick and easy to make and basically, fool proof, but also Completely Delicious.
Today I have just that for you…A quick and easy (promise!) falafel recipe that is SCRUMPTIOUS and impossible to mess up!!
Excited much??!! ME TOO.
Now, these are BAKED falafel, which means that there is not a thing about them that is bad for us. Which makes these just the best little food balls ever! They bake to a gorgeous golden brown, and they’re slightly crisp on the outside, soft and smooth on the inside. Packed with amazing spicy and herby flavours and they’re nicely filling too.
These baked falafel are made with chickpeas, flour, baking powder, cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper, salt & pepper, fresh parsley, fresh dill, spring onions and olive oil. They take a record 30 minutes to make, this recipe makes 15 falafel balls, and they are SO up there with the best falafel I have tasted!!
Here are a few ways to eat them:
- On a big healthy salad
- In a wholewheat wrap
- Nestled in a wholewheat pita bread
- On a wholesome sandwich
- Packed into a lettuce wrap
- OR make falafel patties and eat them in a bun!
Endless options…I like to have them with shredded lettuce, a few spring onions, some chopped tomato and a drizzle of healthy sauce. There is no way to eat these Oven Baked Healthy Vegan Falafel that won’t be totally, mouth-wateringly YUM!
Traditionally falafel is deep fried, it originates from the Middle East, and is commonly eaten with a tahini based sauce. Tahini being a paste made from ground sesame seeds. I can tell you that these falafel are divine eaten with a tahini based sauce, hummus, peanut sauce or honey mustard sauce.
Basically any healthy sauce that you love will be great with these falafel!
Try these Oven Baked Healthy Vegan Falafel very soon, and then tell me ALL about it! I can’t wait to hear from you!
- 2 x 410g tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 tbsp plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ - 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Large handful fresh parsley leaves
- Large handful fresh dill leaves
- 4 spring onions, sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil + extra for brushing
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Pulse all the ingredients together in a blender until the mixture can be formed into balls with your hands. It should be fairly smooth - don’t let the mixture get too mushy or it won’t hold its shape.
- Form the mixture into balls about 1 inch in diameter, brush each ball with a little olive oil and place on the lined baking sheet in rows.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until the falafel balls are golden.
- Serve on salad, in wraps, pita breads, sandwiches, lettuce wraps or shape into patties and serve in bread rolls.