These are no common or garden scones…These are Savoury Cheese & Chive Scones!
They’re cheesy, bursting with fresh herbs, break-apart SOFT & FLUFFY in the middle with a slight crunch on the outside. The melted, golden brown cheese on top brings another punch of flavour, and, well…they’re just the loveliest scones ever!
And how lovely do they look? SO LOVELY!! Who could dare to resist them?
You might like these recipes…take a look at my Red Pepper Butternut Basil Egg Muffins, my Oatmeal Peanut Butter Banana Muffins, my Orange & Strawberry Breakfast Muffins and my Healthy Chocolate Banana & Apple Muffins.
Made with plain flour, brown flour, butter, baking powder, cheese, chives, parsley, egg, milk, salt & pepper. It’s a simple recipe, makes 12 scones and they only take about 20 minutes to bake.
These Savoury Cheese & Chive Scones are just the ticket if you’re more of a savoury person, or if you’re just having a savoury moment! I love these as an addition to Sunday brunch, or as an afternoon tea snack when friends come over. What’s great about them is that they go perfectly with breakfast, or they are totally delicious on their own with a nice hot cuppa.
I’ve tried my fair share of scones in my 32 (gulp!!) years on this earth, and there’s a delicate balance in making a scone just “scone-y” enough. You know what I mean…Not too dry, not too cake-y, not too muffin-ish. A scone needs to have the texture and flavour of a SCONE!
And these scones tick all the boxes and are a welcome addition to *Scone Land*! The texture is just right, the flavours are spot on, and I think I might just be sharing this recipe in all shapes and sizes from now on!! Stay tuned for all the fruity versions – YUM.
I’m pretty sure moms’ everywhere will love these scones…And look at that! It’s Mother’s day on Sunday. Just sayin. A little savoury scone basket will for sure be on my table this Sunday and I can’t wait to dig in!
I’m so excited for you to try these Savoury Cheese & Chive Scones, and if you do make them for your special mom, let me know what she thinks of them (and what YOU think of them)!!
Here’s the recipe!! Try it out soon, you won’t be sorry.
- ½ cup butter
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 cup brown flour
- 1 tbsp + ¾ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 3 cups grated cheese divided
- 1 big bunch chives, finely chopped
- 1 small handful parsley, finely chopped
- 1 egg
- ½ cup + 5 tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 175°C and lightly grease a large baking tray.
- Put the butter in the freezer for 10 - 15 mins until it is really solid.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, salt and pepper.
- Using a butter knife, cut the butter into the flour mixture until the butter is the size of peas.
- Stir in 2½ cups of cheese and the chopped herbs.
- In another bowl, beat the egg and milk together, add to the dry ingredients and mix until the dough can be formed into a ball.
- On a clean, floured surface, roll the dough out to about 1 inch thick. Cut however you like, I like pizza pieces or rounds, and place on a baking tray. Brush the tops with some milk, top with the remaining ½ cup grated cheese and put in the oven to bake for 20 - 25 mins until golden brown on top.