No better way to say festive than with lovely spiced festive ginger & syrup cookies!
I had a realisation this weekend that I found quite startling…Christmas is in exactly 8 weeks time! The festive season is upon us and it’s time to start thinking about what we will whip up for our family get togethers, evening gatherings with friends, home coffees with the girls, and of course the big ol’ Christmas day feast extravaganza!
In the next 8 weeks I plan to share a wide variety of main meals, side dishes, snacks, sweet treats, cakes and decadent puddings all with a festive twist so you need look no further for inspiration as we lead up to Christmas. I will also be sharing quick & easy, crafty gift ideas that don’t break the bank so stay tuned for those!
To get the ball rolling….I’m starting off the count down with a few Spiced Festive Ginger & Syrup Cookies. They’re a slight twist on the classic ginger biscuit – adding the extra spices gives them even more flavour and scrumminess, and I have reduced the sugar so that they are slightly better for you.
You can make these so that they are chubby – soft in the middle and crunchy on the outside, or so that they are thin – crunchy all the way through. I love the super thin and crunchy version because I’m a dunker…Nothing better than dunking your biscuit in some hot steaming tea or coffee for true comfort and satisfaction.
These Spiced Festive Ginger & Syrup Cookies could not be easier to make and they take no time at all to whip up. Cooking time is quick too so they are perfect even as a last minute thought if you suddenly have people coming by for tea or you find yourself craving something sweet and spicy.
Let me know if you have any special Christmas requests in the comments. And if you make these, do tell me what you think!
- ⅔ cup butter
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp golden syrup
- 1½ cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 4 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground mixed spice
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
- Beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer until pale and creamy.
- Mix in golden syrup and combined dry ingredients. Mix with a metal spoon until mixture sticks together.
- Roll into balls, roughly 1 inch round and place on baking trays allowing enough room for biscuits to spread. Flatten a bit with your fingers. If you want thin and super crispy biscuits flatten quite a lot, if you want chunky softer in the centre biscuits then flatten to about 1cm thick. (I like them both ways, the thinner biscuits are better for dunking.)
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until rich golden brown.
- Store in air tight container.