This Spicy Thick Healthy Hot Chocolate is the perfect warm and comforting treat.
There’s a reason why I’m calling this a Spicy Thick Healthy Hot Chocolate…
It’s ALL of those things and SO much more! Spicy from the cinnamon and mixed spice, thick and silky SMOOTH from the milk and cornflour, healthy because it’s sugar free and sweetened with honey and a dash of vanilla, and chocolatey, OH SO CHOCOLATEY from the dark chocolate and cocoa.
This hot chocolate is the yummiest hot chocolate drink EVER. No ifs, ands or buts about it.
Part of my family lives in Spain, and for quite a few years my brother lived there too. On one of my trips to visit him several years ago, I ordered a “hot chocolate” (the weather was cold) thinking that it would be like the hot chocolate that I’m used to – in a tall mug, fairly milky and easily drinkable. What came to the table was something quite different…An actual mug of thick, melted chocolate (maybe there was a smidgen of milk in there, but you wouldn’t have known it!), it was SO thick and definitely not drinkable. Meant for dunking pieces of pretzel-like bread/pastries into, which was pretty delicious, amazing, and unforgettable. Yum.
And that, my friends, is what inspired this Spicy Thick Healthy Hot Chocolate…Why not make a healthy version that is just as delicious, yet you can actually drink it like a traditional hot chocolate – but it’s much thicker, creamier in texture, VERY chocolatey, spicy and just sweet enough.
If not, why not? And I found myself loving every minute of testing recipes for this scrumptious, hot and comforting drink. When the weather is cool and you need to warm up from the inside out, this is the perfect healthy hot drink for the job.
I have tried this exact recipe without the cornflour, and it’s a delicious version…It doesn’t go thick, and it’s not quite as smooth, but I’d definitely recommend it if you are out of cornflour or want a thinner hot chocolate.
I’ve got a date with a mug of Spicy Thick Healthy Hot Chocolate, a warm throw and a few movies tonight! I think you should make a similar date yourself very soon…
I’d love to hear what you think of this recipe when you try it out, leave me a note in the comments below…And let me know if you make your own version of this recipe, it’s always interesting to hear other peoples creative ideas!
- 3 tsp cocoa, heaped
- 8 squares dark chocolate, roughly chopped (sugar free)
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp mixed spice
- ¾ tsp vanilla essence
- 2 tbsp cornflour (heaped), dissolved in a little water
- 2 cups milk
- 1½ cups water
- 1 tbsp honey
- Place the cocoa, dark chocolate, cinnamon, mixed spice and vanilla essence in a medium measuring jug, set aside.
- Place the milk and water in a small saucepan and heat (do not boil), when hot, pour about 1 cup of the milk and water over the ingredients in the measuring jug and stir until the chocolate has melted and the mixture is smooth, stir in the cornflour and water mixture.
- Pour the mixture back into the saucepan and bring to a gentle boil, whisking constantly. Allow to boil for 2 minutes. Stir in the honey, give it a try and add more to taste if necessary.
- Pour into mugs, and enjoy.