100% healthy, this lemonade is as refreshing as it is thirst quenching.
This lemonade holds fond memories for me as I first made it for my sister in laws baby shower last year. We celebrated the imminent arrival of my sweet nephew, Antonio (who is now 1!!), with Ele’s closest friends and family at my parents home in Zimbabwe.
I wanted to make a refreshing drink that everyone could enjoy and that would not exclude anyone regardless of diet etc. So I took my lemonade recipe that I had been making for years and made it sugar free by substituting the sugar with honey. It turned out amazingly well and I have been making it this way ever since.
Sometimes it’s nice when you have a table full of sweet treats – to offer a drink that is thirst quenching and fresh to cleanse the palate and get your guests ready for that red velvet cupcake they’ve been eyeing all morning!
This lemonade is perfect for any occasion though, and I often make a small batch just for myself to enjoy throughout the day. It’s especially great in the heart of summer when you’re tired of drinking ice water and feel like some variety. For another healthy drink recipe check out my sugar free strawberry lemonade – this is such an attractive drink, perfect for entertaining.
- 6 large lemons
- 3 cups boiling water
- 10 tbsp honey
- Cold Water
- Clean the lemons well. Peel the rind off the lemons and place in a large bowl.
- Add 3 cups boiling water to the lemon rind and leave to sit until the water is warm.
- Remove the rind from the warm water. Set a few pieces aside for garnish.
- Squeeze the juice from the lemons and add to the warm rind water.
- Now add the honey and stir until dissolved. You can add more or less to suit you.
- Dilute with cold water to taste, I added 4 cups of cold water. Pour into a big jug with ice and mint and serve.