A tea bread made with actual tea = this Wholewheat Pecan Date Chai-Tea Ring.
It is absolutely time to eat some Wholewheat Pecan Date Chai-Tea Ring!! Any time of day is a good time for this scrumptious, yet HEALTHY sweet bread that is filled with dates, cashews and pecans, and topped with a yoghurt drizzle.
Now, you may be thinking, “That doesn’t look like bread??!” And I feel you, but it really is a tea loaf disguised as a tea RING, which in my mind means it’s still a bread. A sweet bread – yes – a tea ring bread!
Normally a tea ring would imply that you would enjoy the sweet bread “with tea”. And this is true for this tea ring as well, it’s lovely with tea or coffee, but this particular bread is also called a “tea ring” because it is in fact made with Chai tea! A whole 2 cups of steaming hot spicy Chai tea goes into this sweet bread and makes it SOOO moist, tasty and overall completely DELICIOUS!
A few more healthy tea time treats are my Honey Butternut Carrot Bread, my Healthy Chocolate Banana & Apple Muffins, my Banana Pecan & Cinnamon Muffins and my Chocolate Brownie Cake (decadent but sugar free!)
This Wholewheat Pecan Date Chai-Tea Ring is made with dates, spicy Chai tea, spices, brown flour, cornflour, pecans, cashews, coconut oil, baking soda, honey and eggs. It takes just 20 minutes to prepare and 30 minutes to bake, and is topped with a Greek yoghurt, honey and ground cinnamon drizzle.
The flavours and aromas of this tea ring are so addictive, I’m SO excited about this recipe and I can’t wait for you to all try it out! It’s Wednesday evening, which means it’s getting close to the Friday, which means…BAKING TIME!!
Before I had a food blog, (I so don’t hate doing my absolute favourite thing every day!) I would look forward to Saturdays so much as my baking day, I found the whole ritual of cooking up something delicious and gorgeous so calming, and so much fun!
Have I mentioned just how GOOD FOR YOU this tea ring is? Sugar free, no refined white flour, and packed with healthy dates and nuts…Throw a slice into your little one’s lunch box, pack up a slice for your desk lunch, or munch on a piece when you feel like a healthy snack.
This tea ring is absolutely perfect for a girls tea – it still feels like a treat but it’s not too heavy, and so full of goodness. It’s a large, flat cake that serves about 10 people. You could just as easily bake this in a loaf tin, or two ordinary cake tins for a different variation. This dough is very versatile and will cook well in any shape tin.
I hope you try this easy recipe for my Wholewheat Pecan Date Chai Tea-Ring soon, this weekend perhaps?! With a big cup of steaming hot tea or coffee…That sounds so good, I think I’m off to do just that. Let me know what you think in the comments!
- FOR THE TEA RING:
- 250g dates, chopped small
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 400ml freshly made strong Chai tea (I used 2 tea bags and let them brew for 5 mins)
- 2 cups wholewheat flour
- 3 tbsp cornflour
- 1 cup pecans, roughly chopped
- ¾ cup cashews, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tbsp melted coconut oil (or olive oil)
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- FOR THE DRIZZLE:
- 2 tbsp Greek yoghurt
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- TO MAKE THE TEA RING:
- Place the dates in a bowl, sprinkle over the baking soda and pour over the hot tea. Set aside to soften.
- Preheat the oven to 170°C. Grease and lightly flour a 10 inch bundt tin (or two ordinary cake tins).
- Stir together the flour, mixed spice, cinnamon, pecans and cashews in a mixing bowl. Then, using a wooden spoon, mix in the honey, coconut oil and the eggs.
- When the dates are nice and soft, mash them up with a fork until they look more like a thick paste, it’s fine if a few small pieces of date remain. Now stir the date and tea mixture into the flour mixture until well combined. It will be very moist.
- Pour the dough into the bundt tin and bake for 25 - 30 minutes. It's done when a toothpick comes out clean.
- Once the bread is done, allow it to cool in the tin for about 15 minutes. Turn the bread out onto a cooling rack and allow to cool completely before you pour over the drizzle.
- TO MAKE THE DRIZZLE:
- In a small bowl, stir all ingredients together until well combined and smooth. Drizzle over the cool bread and serve.