Zesty Orange Honey Layer Cake ?
I am totally, 100% serious, yes! Zesty Orange Honey Layer Cake! Layered with none other than the fluffiest whipped cream, crunchiest chopped almonds, and drizzled with the most goldenest of golden honey.
But now the cake…
OH the CAKE itself deserves a mention all of it’s own! This is the moistest, most tasty – zesty and orangey – sponge cake that you will ever eat. It’s melt-in-the-mouth delicious and you’re going to need to make this cake asap!! I’ll come over and help you eat it, because I’ll need another piece in like, about an hour.
Which is how long it takes to make this cake from scratch….to AMAZING on a plate. Just one little hour between you and glorious Zesty Orange Honey Layer Cake.
More delicious cake recipes for you – Try my Chocolate Chip Raspberry Coffee Cake (my all time favourite), my Lemon Drizzle Silk Cake With Cream Cheese Icing, and The Best Chocolate Brownie Cake (Sugar Free).
But seriously though, I’m extra excited about this cake because I was inspired to share it with all of you as a Mother’s Day brunch cake…or morning / afternoon tea cake. I know my mom will absolutely love this cake, and I’m sure yours will too!! And if you’re a mom yourself, make sure someone makes one of these baby’s for YOU this Sunday!! You deserve it.
I love the strawberries with this orange cake because I’m a huge fan of that sourish element when it comes to desserts and cakes…I love the balance and combination of flavours going on. You could also use blueberries, raspberries, gooseberries or keep it simple and top the cake with orange segments.
I used chopped almonds scattered over the cake, but you could use pistachios, pecans, macadamias or cashews. This cake takes 35 minutes to prepare, 30 minutes to bake and serves about 8 people comfortably.
I’m definitely going to be enjoying a slice of this delicious Zesty Orange Honey Layer Cake this Sunday for Mother’s Day with my mom, and you should too! Let me know all about it, I’d love to hear.
Happy weekend to you all, I hope it’s a great one!!
- 1½ cups butter, softened
- ¾ cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups cake flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 50ml milk
- Juice of 1 large orange
- Zest of 1 large orange
- 1 tbsp honey
- 500ml cream
- 250g strawberries
- ⅓ cup chopped almonds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 170°C, grease and lightly flour two 8 inch (20cm) round cake tins.
- Cream butter and sugar until creamy and white then add the eggs one at a time and beat until incorporated.
- Slowly add the flour mixed with the baking powder, a few tablespoons at a time and beat until incorporated.
- Add the milk and orange juice alternatively, a little at a time. Stir in the orange zest and honey.
- Divide the cake batter evenly between the two cake tins and bake for about 30 minutes. They’re done when you press down gently on the cake and it springs back. Switch the oven off and leave the oven door ajar with the cakes inside for another 10 minutes to cool slowly. (This stops them from sinking in the middle!).
- Remove cakes from the oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes before turning out onto cooling racks to cool completely.
- Beat the cream until stiff peaks form. Slice the strawberries in half or into rounds, or however you like!
- Place one cake on a serving dish or cake stand and top with half the whipped cream, sprinkle with half the chopped almonds. Place the remaining cake on top and spoon on the remaining cream, top with the strawberries, chopped almonds and drizzle with honey.