Posted on October 10 2018
My absolute favourite mouth-wateringly delicious, healthy and easy cake recipe! This Sugar Free Apple Date Cake With Coconut Topping is also dairy free and made with fresh apples, dates and coconut oil. You simply can’t go wrong, please, please try it SOON!
Apples and dates recipes are a favourite of mine, I love the combo and I have a few recipes that include these two delightful ingredients.
Check out my other recipes with apples and dates – Stone Fruit Apple Date Brunch Cake, Sugar And Dairy Free Raisin Bran Muffins, Brown Butter Caramel Crumble Apple Pie, also try my Sugar Free Lemon Olive Oil Cake.
But honestly, this Sugar Free Apple Date Cake With Coconut Topping recipe is THE BEST
No other healthy cake quite compares to the melt-in-the-mouth texture, the caramel-toffee flavour that comes entirely from the sweet date and tart apple combination and the to-die-for golden, chewy coconut topping that wonderfully finishes off this cake. It can be made a few days ahead of time, in fact, it just gets better as the flavours enhance over time! It freezes brilliantly too.
I’m so sold. Are you sold? You totally should be. Just give in. It’s HEALTHY after all.
That’s not to say you should be eating this cake on a weekly basis, it’s still a treat, but it’s a million miles better for you than anything you will ever buy, so when the occasion calls for it, this cake is your best homemade bet.
Let’s talk ingredients for this wonderful Sugar Free Apple Date Cake With Coconut Topping, it’s got:
- Golden delicious apples, or any green apple you like (I find a tart apple is my favourite, but you might want extra sweetness)
- Dates – which magically turn into holy YUMMINESS in this cake
- An egg, coz you know, a little lightness is a must
- Coconut oil
- A little flour, baking soda and vanilla
- Desiccated coconut, honey and coconut milk for the topping, soooo good
All you do is chop up the apples and dates, pop them into a bowl with the baking soda and boiling water and leave to sit until the dates are nice and soft.
In another bowl, sieve together the flour and salt. Then stir the egg, coconut oil and vanilla into the apple date mixture. Then gradually stir in the flour and salt mixture to give you a glorious, simple, healthy cake mixture which you then spoon into a cake tin and bake for 30 minutes.
Once 30 minutes are up, spoon over the coconut mixture – which you make by simply melting together the coconut oil and honey in the microwave and stirring in the desiccated coconut – and bake for a further 10 minutes until the topping is golden and beautiful.
NO crazy beating things together and getting a sore arm and no fancy equipment needed, all you need is two mixing bowls, a metal spoon and a square (or round, I’ve used both) cake tin, and you’re ready to bake!
I love this cake for a weekend treat, as a healthy birthday cake, I made it for my sister in-law’s baby shower a while back, and it would be perfect for any special occasion like Thanksgiving or Christmas.
As it’s made with no sugar and no dairy, this easy recipe is perfect for anyone who is health conscious or anyone with dairy allergies.
Health benefits of apples, dates and coconut oil:
- Apples – Their high content of vitamin C helps to build collagen, and their levels of copper encourage your skin to produce melanin, the pigment responsible for colour in your skin. This helps to protect your skin from UV rays and melanin also helps to build healthy tissues, hair and eyes. Small amounts of skin-brightening vitamin A are also found in apples, in the form of retinoids, which helps to build healthy skin and reduce the risk of skin cancer.
- Dates – Contain vitamins such as B1, B2, B3 and B5, as well as A1 and C and iron, they are known to lower cholesterol, improve bone health, and boost you skin’s elasticity and smooth texture.
- Coconut oil – Other than improving your skin, hair and dental health, coconut oil contains healthy saturated fats that are good for weight loss, brain function and energy.
So there you have it, an easy Sugar Free Apple Date Cake With Coconut Topping recipe packed with health benefits and SO yum it’ll be tough to share.
Try this recipe out really soon, I can’t wait for you to experience the gorgeous flavours and textures of this amazing cake! And please don’t forget to drop me a comment and tell me what you think of the recipe! I love hearing from all of you.
My favourite delicious, healthy and easy cake recipe! This Sugar Free Apple Date Cake With Coconut Topping is dairy free & made with fresh apples, dates and coconut milk.
- FOR THE CAKE:
- 4 medium green apples (I use golden delicious) , peeled and chopped small
- 250 g (2 cups) pitted dates , chopped small
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 3/4 cups cake flour
- pinch of salt
- 120 g (1/2 cup) coconut oil , softened
- 1 egg , lightly beaten
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- FOR THE COCONUT TOPPING:
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 tbsp honey , or maple syrup
- 2 tbsp almond milk , or milk of your choice
- 1 cup desiccated coconut , unsweetened
TO MAKE THE CAKE:
Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F), grease and lightly flour an 8 inch (20cm) square (or round) cake tin.
In a bowl, place apples, dates, baking soda and boiling water, give it a gentle stir and set aside to cool for about 18 - 20 minutes until the dates are nice and soft, stir occasionally.
In another bowl, sift the flour and salt together.
Once the apple date mixture has cooled, stir the coconut oil, egg and vanilla into the apple date mixture.
With a metal spoon, stir the sifted flour and salt gradually (about 4 tablespoons at a time) into the apple date mixture until all the flour is combined. Spoon the cake mixture into the cake tin and level out. Bake for 30 mins.
TO MAKE THE COCONUT TOPPING:
In the microwave, gently melt coconut oil and honey together, once the mixture is liquid, take out the microwave, and stir in the almond milk and desiccated coconut, mix together well.
Spoon coconut topping over the baked cake, and press down with the back of a metal spoon to get an even layer. Return cake to the oven until the topping is golden, about 10 mins, keep an eye on it, it browns quickly.
Place the cake on a cooling rack and allow to cool in the cake tin, then slice into squares, gently lift out with a spatula or cake flip, and serve.
I like to check the cake halfway through cooking time, if it’s already golden enough, which it might be depending on your oven, cover the top with a piece of silver foil and continue baking.
This cake is delicious as a dessert! Serve warm with whipped cream or ice-cream - YUM. I also like it straight out the fridge in summer, it’s absolutely delicious either way!
It can be made a few days ahead of time, in fact, it just gets better as the flavours enhance over time! It freezes brilliantly too.