Posted on July 6 2020
A hearty, one pan, whole-chicken casserole recipe that is as healthy as it is mouth-wateringly tasty!! It’s gluten-free, dairy-free and your family will be lining up with their plates just from the aromas that will float out of your kitchen from this delightful dish! Make this Garlic Mushroom Chicken Casserole SOON…
Honestly THE VERY BEST chicken casserole recipe!
What is easy Garlic Mushroom Chicken Casserole made with?
- One whole chicken, sliced into 10 pieces
- Lots of mushrooms, I used button but you can use your favourite mushies
- Plenty of fresh garlic
- Italian herb mix (dried)
- Coconut oil, to brown the chicken
- Coconut milk, to make it creamy dreamy delicious
- Chicken broth
- A little gluten free flour and a smidgen of cornflour to thicken the gravy
- Himalayan pink salt and ground black pepper
No funny business here, just a good old wholesome family favourite using good-for-you ingredients!
Michael is a self-professed mushroom avoider at all costs, and even HE loved this casserole.
Couldn’t get enough. Went back for a hefty portion of seconds. That kind of LOVE.
My mom used to make a somewhat similar recipe when we were growing up, except I think it contained fruit chutney and processed soup powder! Things that I never, ever buy, lol (Nor does she, nowadays).
That said, I have fond memories of its yumminess, so I felt inspired to create something equally moreish with all healthy ingredients.
This chicken casserole is certainly moreish, comforting, filling and nourishing!
How to make one pan Garlic Mushroom Chicken Casserole?
- Using a large casserole dish (I like metal, but ceramic works too), heat the coconut oil in the oven
- Toss chicken pieces in flour mixture, then brown in hot oil
- Add all other ingredients and bake for about an hour until sauce is thick and chicken is cooked through and fall-off-the-bone-tender (see recipe!)
- Serve with your choice of side (options below)
If you’re looking for a simple, one pan recipe that can be thrown together in 30 minutes, baked in the oven for about an hour, served with a side of rice or quinoa or lentils (or a mix of ALL THREE which is what I did – highly recommend) or creamy mashed potatoes with mixed veggies or a salad…
Talk about versatile, that’s a whole bunch of different side dish options, and this casserole is UTTERLY DIVINE with any of the above!
THEN THIS RECIPE IS FOR YOU, one-pan-recipe King or Queen! You’ve got this.
Hop to it, and prepare yourself for all the dinner-related compliments coming your way.
More chicken recipes you’ll love – my Cuban-Style Chicken Rice Bake, Lemon Herb Roast Chicken And Veggies, Baked Chicken Barley Kale Stew, the The Best Chicken Curry With Sweet Potatoes, and Avocado Wild Rice Nectarine Chicken Salad.
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days, or frozen in the same way to enjoy another time.
This is actually a great dish to make, freeze, and defrost on a day when you’re pushed for time, or have unexpected guests – it’s delicious and satiating enough to impress almost anyone 🙂
Make and enjoy friends! Here’s the recipe…
A hearty, one pan chicken casserole that is healthy and SO tasty!! Gluten-free, dairy-free and really easy to make!
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 whole chicken
- 2 tbsp gluten free flour , heaped
- 1 tsp Himalayan pink salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tsp Italian herb mix , I use "Simple Truth Italian Rub"
- 3 onions , sliced into quarters
- 3 large cloves garlic , finely chopped
- 250 g button mushrooms , or mushrooms of choice, sliced
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 cups chicken broth , low sodium
- 2 tbsp cornflour , dissolved in a little chicken broth
Preheat oven to 250°C (482°F).
In a large casserole dish (I like to use a metal one, but ceramic is fine), heat the coconut oil in the oven for 10 minutes.
Slice chicken into 8 pieces – legs, thighs, breasts (you can slice these in half) and wings, discard back-bone.
In a large bowl, mix the flour, salt, pepper and herbs together. Toss the chicken pieces in the flour. Take the casserole dish out of the oven and carefully toss the chicken pieces in the hot oil (it should simmer), place back in the oven for 10 – 12 minutes or until golden.
Reduce oven temperature to 160°C (320°F).
Stir in onions, garlic, mushrooms, coconut milk, chicken broth, cornflour mixture and any left-over seasoned flour mixture to the casserole and bake in the centre of the oven with the lid on for 45 minutes
Uncover and continue to cook for a further 15 – 20 minutes or until sauce is thick and chicken is golden-brown, cooked through and fall-off-the-bone-tender!
Serve hot with brown rice, lentils or quinoa (or a mixture of all three like I did!) and a side of veggies or salad. ENJOY!