A really quick potato dish that is comforting & nutritious.
These are really easy and they can be a side or a main depending on the occasion. I had this for lunch yesterday and if I ever had any doubts about potatoes being interesting and satisfying as a whole meal I’m now a believer!
The flavours really dance on the tongue with the creamy guacamole peppered with bursts of green pepper and red onion – so crisp and fresh. The saltiness of the feta with the edges of the potatoes all golden and crunchy – collectively it adds up to such a snappy combination.
I think I’ve found a favourite….I really am excited about this one. You could whip these up to accompany a big lunch with friends. They would be amazing with a braai (barbecue). Or as a quick lunch or supper. If you want to bulk them up a bit, you could add some bacon bits, or tuna. Endless opportunities.
If you don’t eat potatoes, you could use sweet potatoes for this, or even butternut would work. Speaking of sweet potatoes, take a hop on over to my lentil sweet potato & tomato stew. And if you like butternut you will love my butternut & red pepper quiche with potato base.
As always, let me know if you make them, I want to know what you think!
- 4 potatoes
- 2 avocados
- ½ small green or red pepper
- ½ small red onion
- 50g Feta cheese
- Salt & Pepper
- Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 250°C.
- Wash and spike potatoes with a fork. Place on a microwave safe plate and microwave for 3 minutes on high. Turn them over and microwave for another 3 minutes or until soft & cooked through.
- Cut potatoes in half lengthways and place on a baking tray, skins down.
- Drizzle with a little olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grate or crumble cheese over them and place in the oven. They’re done when the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Mash up avocados in a bowl with a fork. Dice up green or red pepper and onion small and add to avocado. Add apple cider vinegar and mix in. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon onto the potatoes and enjoy.