Introducing a new invention * Chocolate Chip Raspberry Coffee Cake *
Two words. PURE INDULGENCE.
How else can I describe to you how absolutely decadent, indulgent and delicious this cake is? Um…let’s see…It’s melt in the mouth chocolate chip, raspberry, coffee sponge cake, PUUURFECTION, topped with heavenly raspberry coffee frosting which all comes together to create a to die for combination that can only be described as *AMAZING*!!!
Not to overreact or anything, but this is now my absolute favourite cake of ALL TIME!!! The absolute best cake I have ever tasted, like ever. Seriously though.
A few more cakes that I’m very fond of and you should check out are my Lemon Drizzle Silk Cake with Cream Cheese Icing, my Butternut Bundt Cake with Orange Glaze & Toasted Nuts, and (now a close second on my favourites list) The Best Chocolate Brownie Cake.
You’re going to want to make this cake over and over again once you’ve tasted just one bite of it! I promise you, if you like the flavours separately, you will LOVE this cake! Even if you don’t like the flavours separately, I still encourage you to try this cake, you might just be converted!
I would even go as far as to say you could serve this Chocolate Chip Raspberry Coffee Cake as a fancy dessert on a special occasion – it’s that indulgent and impressive! It would make a perfect birthday cake for someone special, in fact it would top off any celebratory meal perfectly. I intend to have this cake for my birthday every year from now on.
Sometimes you just need a pinch of pure decadence in your life don’t you? That’s how I felt today and it’s why I was inspired to pair a few of my favourite flavours together, somehow knowing (and crossing fingers & toes!!) they would go together beautifully, and they really do!
I’m so excited for you to try this Chocolate Chip Raspberry Coffee Cake, I know you’re going to be bowled over by it, let me know what you think!!
- FOR THE CAKE:
- 1 cup butter softened
- ¾ cup castor sugar
- 1½ cups cake flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 100ml milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp instant coffee in 25 ml boiling water
- 160g dark chocolate chips (or roughly chopped bars)
- 160g raspberries roughly chopped
- FOR THE FROSTING:
- ¾ cup butter softened
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 2 tsp instant coffee in 3 tsp boiling water
- 160g raspberries divided
- TO MAKE THE CAKE:
- Preheat oven to 170°C and grease and lightly flour two 8 inch (20cm) round cake tins.
- Cream butter and sugar until creamy and white then add the eggs one at a time and beat until incorporated. Slowly add the flour mixed with the baking powder, a few of tablespoons at a time and beat until incorporated.
- Pour the milk into the coffee & hot water and add to the cake batter beating in a little at a time.
- Fold in the raspberries and chocolate chips.
- Divide the cake batter evenly between the two cake tins and bake for about 25 - 30 minutes. They’re ready when you press down gently on the cake and it springs back. Switch the oven off and leave the oven door ajar with the cakes in the oven for 10 minutes to cool slowly. (This stops them from sinking in the middle!).
- Remove cakes from the oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes before turning out onto cooling racks to cool completely.
- TO MAKE THE FROSTING:
- Beat the butter and sugar until light and creamy. Beat in the coffee.
- Keep about 20 whole raspberries for the top of the cake, and roughly chop the others then fold them into the frosting.
- Place one of the cakes on a serving plate and pile just over ⅓ of the frosting on the top of the cake then spread with a butter knife, keeping it rustic. Place the other cake on top and pile the remaining icing on top and spread again with a butter knife.
- Top with the whole fresh raspberries and serve.