A light, healthy fish pie!
This is my simple weeknight dinner recipe #2!! A Fresh & Light Summer Veggie Fish Pie that will knock your socks off….In a subtle fish & veg kind of way! Sometimes less is more.
The first of the simple weeknight dinners being my Cheesy Polenta & Garlic Sautéed Mushrooms which I shared yesterday. Need more ideas for simple dinners? Try my Roasted Butternut Cous Cous Salad with Pesto Dressing, my Chicken Pasta with Herby Avocado Pesto Sauce, and my Spinach & Feta Jacket Stuffed Potatoes.
I’m happy to tell you that this Fresh & Light Summer Veggie Fish Pie takes just 30 minutes to put together, and after 40 minutes of nestling in a nice hot oven it will be bubbling and golden and ready to eat. This is a great way to introduce your kids to fish – it’s very subtly fishy, so not overpowering, and it’s packed with summer veggies.
Although this is a light summery dish, it has a comforting quality to it as with all fish pies – the original fish pie is more likely to be cooked with cream, topped with buttery mashed potatoes and melted cheese.
I opted to use coconut milk instead of cream, baby potatoes with their skins on in the pie itself, and I topped the pie with a little grated cheese. This is definitely a healthier version yet it still has all the flavour and so much goodness!
There are two more simple weeknight dinners coming up this week, so check back for those! And happy cooking in the meantime. If you make this Fresh & Light Summer Veggie Fish Pie recipe, let me know what you think in the comments!!
- 1½ tbsp olive oil
- ½ an onion
- 300g hake fillets
- 1½ cups beans sliced
- 4 stalks celery sliced
- 1 carrot grated
- 1 cup baby sweetcorn sliced
- 8 baby potatoes cut into 1 cm cubes skins on (or 2 large potatoes)
- 1½ cups coconut milk
- ½ tsp salt
- Black pepper
- 1 cup Dutch Gouda (or a strong white cheese of your choice)
- Set oven to 200°C.
- Wash and prepare the vegetables.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan, add the onion and fry until glassy. Add the potatoes and fry for about 8 minutes until going golden.
- While the potatoes are cooking, slice the fish fillets into 2cm cubes.
- Place all the other veggies in with the potatoes and stir fry for about 3 minutes. Take off the heat.
- Mix the fish in gently with the vegetables then pour everything into a casserole dish or individual pie dishes, pour over the coconut milk and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for about 30 minutes until the vegetables are tender and the fish is cooked through. Give the pie a stir half way through cooking time.
- Top evenly with the grated cheese and bake for another 10 minutes until the cheese is golden and bubbling.