The perfect Tomato & Butternut Squash Soup for a cozy night in!
Think of a rich, cooked down to perfection tomato sauce, and silky smooth cream of butternut soup….Now imagine all those amazingly delicious flavours TOGETHER and you have my Cozy Up Tomato & Butternut Squash Soup in a nutshell.
I highly recommend you try this soup out tonight! Your taste buds, your tummy, and your family will thank you. Another cosy meal you should make this week is my Lentil Sweet Potato & Tomato Stew, my One Pot Mustard Coconut Chicken Skillet with Quinoa and my One Pan Creamy Basil Chicken & Rice Casserole.
Today is the perfect day for a cozy up soup recipe in Durbs. It’s dark and rainy, so dark in fact that it could be evening, and it’s midday! The heavens opened up late last night followed by one of the most impressive electrical storms I have ever been witness to…I thought we had massive thunderstorms in Zimbabwe, but they are nothing compared to the storms we have had here on the South African coast. Crazy!!
But this soup….It makes everything better. Had a less than great day? Make this soup. Want a quick & easy delicious & nutritious meal? Make this soup. Need something to warm you up from the inside out? Make this soup. And everything will be better….Really.
I’m off to have a big bowl of this Cozy Up Tomato & Butternut Squash Soup with a nice big slice of crunchy french bread, and maybe a scattering of cheese!
Try this soup today! Here’s the recipe…
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 tsp mixed dried herbs
- 1 400g tin chopped tomato
- 4 cups butternut peeled and sliced into 1 inch chunks
- 100 ml coconut milk
- 1½ cups water
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Ground black pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan, then fry the onions and garlic until glassy and fragrant.
- Take off the heat and stir in the dried herbs and butternut chunks. Pour in the chopped tomato, coconut milk and water and simmer on a medium heat for 35 minutes.
- Once the butternut is very tender, take the soup off the heat and allow to cool slightly, add the salt & pepper now.
- Blend in a food processor or with a hand held blender until the soup is silky smooth. If it is too thick, add a little water and blend again until you are happy with it.
- Serve with a bread or flatbread of your choice and enjoy!