These 5 Ingredient Healthy Pickled Beets are a versatile Super Food side dish.
If you’ve got a little time, I’ve got the perfect time filler for you – 5 Ingredient Healthy Pickled Beets! Just under an hour in the kitchen, and you’ll have yourself pickled beets for weeks.
I’m really fond of beets, we call them beetroot where I’m from, but I’m ok with calling them beets…feels like a friendlier name for them. And beets and I are definitely friends.
Check out a few of my other healthy side dishes – Red Cabbage Spinach & Beetroot Detox Salad, Roast Beet Butternut Basil Goat Cheese Salad, Asian Carrot Salad with Peanut Ginger Dressing, Balsamic Mushroom Bacon Spinach Salad and Pecan Cranberry & Avocado Salad with Orange Dressing.
The best part about these 5 Ingredient Healthy Pickled Beets?
There are no funny ingredients, it’s all good for you, delicious, wholesome YUMMINESS!
They’re made with beets, apple cider vinegar, honey, dill and salt & pepper. Plus a few cups of warm water. The ingredients couldn’t be simpler.
Beets are definitely what the experts call a “super food”, and knowing that they are very low in saturated fat and cholesterol, a good source of dietary fibre, vitamin C, Magnesium and Potassium, and a very good source of Folate and Manganese, it’s no wonder!
So, we know they’re good for us. And they taste great! But ummm, they’re VERY MESSY to cook with. And that’s the understatement of the year. I don’t go near them without a chin-to-knee apron, and rubber gloves. And then they’re not so bad, I managed to stay beetroot-pink stain free today.
Which you will know is quite the achievement if you’ve ever cooked these little guys.
My solution is to make a BIG batch of Pickled Beets, store them away in the fridge and enjoy them at my leisure. This way they last for ages, I get to enjoy their deliciousness and health benefits every day if I wish, and I don’t have to tackle the cooking part again for quite a while.
I’m painting a rough picture of beet cooking. It’s really not that bad…It takes 35 minutes to boil them until they’re tender. It only takes about 10 minutes to skin them (in your big, very trendy apron and rubber gloves, lookin good!) and chop them up with a sharp knife. I tried the little cubes, and the half-rounds, and I like them both ways. The size of your jars will really determine how you need to chop them.
See? Overall, it’s pretty simple. And if you dress the part, you won’t be pink from head to toe! Promise.
I can guarantee that your guests will be totally impressed if you serve them up some homemade pickled beets with their meal…They also just look so PRETTY on a harvest style lunch table! Your family will love being able to add a little beet goodness to their meals on a daily basis.
Give these 5 Ingredient Healthy Pickled Beets a go! You’ll be making them for years to come I’m sure. Don’t forget to let me know what you think of them.
- 6 large beets (beetroot)
- 6 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 5 tbsp honey
- Handful fresh dill (optional)
- Salt & black pepper to taste
- 3½ cups warm water
- Place the beets in a large saucepan and cover with water. Simmer on a medium high heat for about 35 mins, or until the beets are cooked through. Take the beets out of the water and allow to cool. Wearing a pair of rubber gloves, pull the skins off the beets with your fingers (they should come off easily) and top and tail them with a sharp knife.
- Slice the beets into small cubes or rounds. Place them in glass jars with airtight lids. Add a few sprigs of dill in each jar (optional).
- In a large jug, mix together the apple cider vinegar, honey, salt & pepper, and warm water. Pour into the glass jars until the beets are covered.
- Store in the fridge overnight for the flavours to infuse, then enjoy!