Got 15 minutes? Make this light & healthy meal for Autumn days – Fresh Lemon Basil Broccoli Spaghetti.
This is the epitome of clean, light eating and it’s just so refreshing and delicious! You get your greens, a little zing from the lemon, and all that goodness in the sunflower seeds. This is my idea of the PERFECT delicious healthy meal in minutes!!
Have a squiz at these recipes for quick, healthy meals – my Baby Marrow Spaghetti & Rustic Plum Tomato Sauce, my Clean Eating Carrot Turmeric Ginger Soup, my Hearty Black Pepper Mushroom Chickpea Soup and my One Pot Coconut Mustard Coconut Chicken Skillet with Quinoa.
I know some of you are in Spring, yay for you!! Spring is just the best….but over here in Africa we’re heading into Autumn. I’m not angry about it though, because the winter months in Durban are amazing! In this tropical climate it doesn’t really get cold, well maybe we have a few chilly days. But for the next 5 months the weather should be pretty mild, the sun shines, and getting to wear jeans and the odd scarf again is rather fun!
What goes into this dish? It’s super simple and it’s made with broccoli florets, fresh basil, fresh lemon juice, sunflower seeds, olive oil, salt, black pepper and spaghetti! That’s IT. And believe me, the simplicity takes nothing away from the flavours that burst in your mouth!
I used gluten free spaghetti, you can use any pasta you like, this recipe makes enough for 4 people. It’s easily doubled if you’re cooking for more people.
If your kids like broccoli, they’ll love this! Otherwise, substitute a green veggie that they do like – asparagus, spinach, baby marrows, artichokes or kale would all be amazing substitutes and go just as well with the lemon, basil and sunflower seeds as the broccoli does. I can’t wait to try this with artichokes!!
Happy weekend everyone!! I hope it’s a great one for you, and I’ll catch up with you all next week.
Time for the Fresh Lemon Basil Broccoli Spaghetti recipe!!
- 250g spaghetti (or enough for 4 people)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium head of broccoli florets very finely chopped
- Juice of ½ lemon
- A large handful of fresh basil leaves
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- Salt & black pepper to taste
- Put the water on to boil for the spaghetti, following the cooking instructions on the box to cook the spaghetti.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan and fry the broccoli and basil on a medium heat until the broccoli is tender, about 5 minutes or less. Take off the heat.
- Stir in the lemon juice and sunflower seeds, season with salt & black pepper to taste.
- Serve over the spaghetti, add a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, and enjoy!