Quirky & oh so healthy Pepper Quinoa Stuffed Giant Mushrooms!!
There is nothing fiddly or long winded about this stuffed mushroom recipe I can assure you, so stay with me….and you’ll have a fun and impressive looking side dish up your sleeve!
A few more side dish ideas for you – take a look at my Roasted Butternut Cous Cous Salad with Pesto Dressing, my Mexican Chopped Corn, Vine Tomato & Kale Salad and my Pecan Cranberry & Avocado Salad with Orange Dressing.
These Pepper Quinoa Stuffed Giant Mushrooms are made with extra large brown mushrooms, white button mushrooms, red peppers, quinoa, onion, garlic, coconut milk and olive oil. They take just 35 minutes to make and you’ll just have a frying pan and a baking dish to wash up. There’s nothing not to love about that!
While these little guys are cooking your kitchen will be so fragrant, and once assembled they are utterly delectable looking, not to mention how completely DELICIOUS they are! The little pops of quinoa give a touch of crunch bringing all the flavours and textures together in every mouthful.
I like to serve these with simple silver foil roasted herby chicken breasts for a dinner with friends or family, or as a light meal with a tomato salad. You can also serve these over pasta or rice for a more hearty and filling meal.
Whatever you put these with they won’t disappoint.
As always, let me know if you make them, I want to hear all about it!!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 red pepper finely chopped
- 1 cup (100g) white button mushrooms finely chopped
- ½ cup quinoa
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 2 cups water
- 8 (400g) extra large brown mushrooms
- Salt & black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Place the extra large brown mushrooms in a baking dish.
- Fry the onion and garlic in the olive oil until glassy, add the red pepper and fry for about 1 minute. Then add the button mushrooms and fry for another minute.
- Now add the quinoa, coconut milk and water and simmer vigorously for 15 minutes, until the quinoa is tender and the sauce is thick.
- While the quinoa is cooking, place the brown mushrooms in the oven and bake for 15 minutes. When the sauce is done season with salt & black pepper to taste and pour into the mushrooms (it’s fine if some overflows!). Bake for another 5 minutes until the mushrooms are tender and the sauce is bubbling.