Posted on December 11 2017
Tossed in a light coconut milk sesame oil dressing and studded with ruby-red cranberries and flaked almonds, this vegan Kale Apple Cranberry Salad With Sesame Dressing is crazy healthy, incredibly tasty and super pretty. The perfect quick and easy to make side dish for any occasion!
On my quest to add more kale into my diet (because, this is a must it seems, kale is the healthy way to go these days and I will tell you why in a bit), I have often wondered how to make the perfect raw kale salad…and what dressing would go with this best of the best raw vegan kale salad, I have been asking myself?
Annnnd, I think I’ve found my ideal kale salad and my ideal complimentary dressing, and I’m SUPER excited about it!
You might also love my Roasted Mushroom Cauliflower Bacon Salad, my Balsamic Mushroom Bacon Spinach Salad, my Roast Beet Butternut Basil Goat Cheese Salad, my Pecan Cranberry & Avocado Salad With Orange Dressing, my Roasted Beet Potato Salad With Cashew Dressing, my Avocado-Wild Rice Nectarine Chicken Salad, my Green Goddess Pesto Pasta Salad, my Red Cabbage Spinach & Beetroot Detox Salad.
If I could combine all the warm and fuzzy feels of Christmas into one healthy salad bowl, this Kale Apple Cranberry Salad With Sesame Dressing would be it!
It feels special in its appearance, certainly festive with its lovely colours and textures, and the flavours are just SO WONDERFUL!
How to prepare vegan Kale Apple Cranberry Salad With Sesame Dressing, it’s SO quick and easy:
- The kale is chopped into really small pieces, the apples are sliced into thin half-slices with the skins on, then tossed together in a salad bowl with the almonds and cranberries.
- Dressing ingredients are stirred together and drizzled generously over the salad, everything is tossed together until evenly coated with the dressing.
- And that is how to make raw kale salad taste good. Not just good, but AMAZING.
- Serve and enjoy!
If you want to add a little goat cheese, feta or brie to this salad for a non-vegan approach, go right ahead!! I have tried this salad with brie, and it is REALLY good, kale and cranberries go very well indeed with a number of cheeses. Very well indeedy. YUM.
Earlier, I promised to tell you why kale is so good for you, so here goes:
- Kale contains powerful anti-inflammatory properties. Inflammation in the body is linked to almost every chronic disease and kale can help to balance out that inflammation.
- Marvellously full of antioxidants, our bodies are exposed to many toxins every day, in the air we breathe, the water we drink and the food we eat, and antioxidants help to counteract the damage caused.
- This powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory duo in kale makes it a perfect food for heart health.
- Kale promotes healthy vision! Two nutrients that give kale its dark green hue, lutein and zeaxanthin, have shown to help prevent cataracts.
- If you have ever wondered why eating kale is so popular, or how good kale salad is for you, I think you can stop wondering and start EATING. When it’s so HEALTHY and tastes SO GOOD, there’s no reason not to!
Little tip: You can make this kale salad ahead of time, it keeps very well in an airtight container in the fridge overnight. Just take it out a few hours before and let it warm to room temperature, pile onto a pretty platter, eat and be merry!
Super healthy, crunchy, colourful and tasty Kale Apple Cranberry Salad With Sesame Dressing is quick and easy to make, the ideal side dish for any occasion.
- FOR THE SALAD:
- 6-7 large kale leaves
- 3 green apples
- 1/2 cup flaked almonds
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- FOR THE DRESSING:
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp sesame oil
- 2-3 tsp honey
- salt and pepper to taste
HOW TO MAKE THE SALAD:
Slice the kale leaves from the stalks (you don’t want any part of the stalk) and chop the kale into small pieces. Slice the apples into thin half-slices.
Toss the kale, apples, almonds and cranberries together in a salad bowl.
HOW TO MAKE THE DRESSING:
Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl, drizzle over the salad and gently toss until everything is coated with the dressing. Serve and enjoy!
You can add goat cheese, feta or brie for some extra flavour and decadence if you're not worried about the vegan aspect. Cheese goes amazingly well with kale, apple and cranberries!