An irresistibly delicious, HEALTHY, homemade Sugar Free Strawberry Chia Seed Jam!
This Sugar Free Strawberry Chia Seed Jam is E.V.E.R.Y.T.H.I.N.G!
No breakfast or brunch table is complete without a gorgeous jar of homemade jam with a cute little old-fashioned spoon sticking out of it, and what beats Strawberry Jam? It’s a CLASSIC, and rightly so.
This Sugar Free Strawberry Chia Seed Jam in particular is a real winner. It’s sweet – coz of the honey, and tart – coz of the berries and lemon juice, packed to the rafters with strawberries and chia seeds (so healthy!), has a hint of vanilla, and is just the right consistency…Thick and jammy but not too jelly-like.
Definitely check out my homemade healthy breads while you’re here – My Honey Butternut Carrot Bread, my Pecan Date Chai-Tea Ring, my Banana Nut Chocolate Chip Bread, my No Knead Multi-Seed Potato Bread, my Simple Zucchini Feta Soda Bread. All of which are amazing with Strawberry Jam, the jam and cheese combo is awesome!
I’m sure I’m not alone in previously being convinced that jam making was best left to “the people who know how to make jam”. I used to think that jam making was hard with a capital “H”, and not something I would be able to do.
Do you know how wrong I was?!
SO VERY WRONG. When you break it down, jam making is so EASY-peasy it’s crazy!! I can’t believe it’s taken me so long to turn my hand to making my own homemade jam. I can SO make JAM!
And YOU can make jam too! All you need is:
- A medium sized saucepan
- 4 cups of fresh, juicy strawberries
- A couple teaspoons of cornstarch
- 1/2 a lemon & a pinch of salt
- Chia seeds, oh! The goodness (these are optional)
- Vanilla essence, makes all the difference!
- Honey for a little sweetness
- AND 20 minutes
Did you know jam could be made in 20 minutes? I was not aware either…but it CAN. You can DO THIS! I highly recommend that you put 2 punnets of strawberries on your next grocery list, and turn yourself into a master jam maker! It feels really good to make your own jam. Not to mention how great it feels to EAT your own homemade jam, that feels REALLY GOOD. Your family won’t be hating it either, I can guarantee it.
Another super awesome thing about this Sugar Free Strawberry Chia Seed Jam?
Like you need any more convincing! Is that it keeps for weeks in the fridge, but you can also freeze the jam and defrost it when you need it. Convinced? I know you are.
Let’s reconvene in the kitchen with strawberries and aprons and make 20 minute, easy Sugar Free Strawberry Chia Seed Jam! It’ll make your weekend that much sweeter I promise.
- 4 cups strawberries, sliced into quarters or chunks
- Juice of half a small lemon
- 2½ tsp cornstarch
- Pinch of salt
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 3 tbsp honey, add more to taste
- 2 tbsp chia seeds (optional)
- In a medium saucepan over a medium high heat stir together the strawberries, lemon juice, cornstarch and salt, stirring until the cornstarch dissolves.
- Bring to the boil, stirring constantly. Then stir in the water, cover and simmer on a medium low heat for 10 minutes.
- If you want a smooth jam, mash the strawberries with a potato masher until you are happy with the consistency. If you want a chunky jam, don’t mash them at all.
- Simmer uncovered for another 5 minutes or until the mixture is thickening.
- Take the jam off the heat and stir in the vanilla essence, honey and chia seeds (optional), making sure the seeds are evenly distributed.
- Let the jam cool for 5 minutes and then pour it into glass jars with airtight lids.
- Store the jam in the fridge or freezer.