This Banana Nut Chocolate Chip Bread is very quick to prepare, HEALTHY & delicious!
I’m going to be eating this Banana Nut Chocolate Chip Bread tomorrow, and for the rest of the weekend…Since it’s so good for me, and it tastes like an indulgent treat, two birds one stone, why not?
This is why…It’s super moist, extremely banana flavoured, with pops of pecan nuts and happy bursts of dark chocolate (sugar free) which will make you feel warm and fuzzy all over! PLUS it’s made with wholewheat flour, cornflour, honey (oh yes, sugar FREE), olive oil, eggs and vanilla essence. It’s SO much more than delicious in my book – it also adds goodness to your diet!
How would you feel if I told you it takes just 15 minutes to prepare? Yup, it really is that easy to make.
50 minutes in the oven and you have yourself a TALL, large loaf of steaming Banana Nut Chocolate Chip Bread goodness that is appropriate for so many occasions I can’t even list them all…but you know. I know you do.
Looking for more healthy bread recipes? Try my Honey Butternut Carrot Bread my Wholewheat Pecan Date Chai Tea Ring, my No Knead Multi-Seed Potato Bread, my Simple Zucchini Feta Soda Bread and my Easy Crunchy Mustard Herb Flatbreads.
Ok, let’s list just a few occasions this would be the perfect loaf to serve, I can’t help myself I’m so excited about it!
- Weekend brunch with the fam
- Afternoon tea with the besties
- Snack time with the kiddies
- Lunch box treat!! Oh yes.
- Last but definitely not least – Alone time with a cup of tea, nothing but peace, and your fat slice of Banana Nut Chocolate Chip Bread. Just you and the bread, sharing a moment. Weekend where are you?
I’ve been making a version of this banana bread for years. Most people who have tried it say that it’s the best banana bread they’ve tasted…just sayin. When I decided to do this series on healthy bread recipes I knew I wanted to make a healthier version of my tried and tested banana bread (i.e. sugar free and switch the white flour for wholewheat, take out the butter etc.)
And I have to say, I couldn’t be happier with the result! I think this is EVEN BETTER THAN THE ORIGINAL! And it’s so much healthier, that’s saying something.
This recipe really doesn’t need the sugar, I like it so much more without it. The bananas are sweet in themselves and the honey adds just a touch more sweetness, while the dark chocolate adds what only dark chocolate can, and the pecan nuts take it right over the sweet-bread-loaf edge to Healthy Banana Bread Perfection.
I would say you and this Banana Nut Chocolate Chip Bread have a date…and it’s this weekend, don’t be late! And don’t forget to let me know how it goes.
- 4 bananas (large), very ripe
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1¼ cups wholewheat flour
- 3 tbsp cornflour
- 1 cup pecans, roughly chopped
- 130g dark chocolate chips, sugar free (or chocolate bar, chopped into small pieces)
- Preheat the oven to 170°C. Grease and lightly flour a 9 x 5 inch loaf tin.
- In a large mixing bowl, mash the bananas with a fork until almost smooth. Mix in the olive oil with a wooden spoon, then the honey, eggs, vanilla, baking soda and salt.
- Now stir in the wholewheat flour and cornflour until combined, then stir in the pecans and chocolate chips or chopped chocolate bar.
- Pour the mixture into the loaf tin and bake for 50 - 55 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. If you notice the bread going a bit too brown on top, cover with some silver foil and continue baking.
- Once cooked, allow the bread to cool in the tin until the bottom of the tin is lukewarm before you turn it out onto a cooling rack to cool completely before slicing. (If you turn the bread out before it has cooled down enough, it might break apart)