These Easy Crunchy Mustard Herb Flatbreads are gluten free and very quick & easy to make.
Made with a gluten free flour of your choice, wholegrain and hot english mustard, baking powder, salt and coconut milk these Easy Crunchy Mustard Herb Flatbreads couldn’t be less work. They’re lightly mustard flavoured (just the right amount!) and brushed with olive oil and herbs when they are fresh out the oven.
More healthy bread recipes – try my No Knead Multi-Seed Potato Bread, my Simple Zucchini Feta Soda Bread, my Banana Nut Chocolate Chip Bread, my Honey Butternut & Carrot Bread and my Pecan Date Chai-Tea Ring.
Let’s get back to the first truly SAVOURY healthy bread in the series. So…herby, olive oil-y, mustard-y and crunchy. That about sums them up. A simple explanation of flavours for a simple flatbread.
These are great to whip up last minute, as they’re best eaten fresh out the oven while they’re still hot and soft in the centre. You can serve them a few hours after you make them, just bare in mind they will get crunchier the longer they sit around, which is not always a bad thing. Half flatbread, half cracker anyone? I’m actually rather liking a super crunchy flatbread snack I must admit!
I like to top them with lots of fresh things like:
- Mountains of rocket
- Handfuls of baby spinach
- Dollops of guacamole and / or hummus (I’d do both, do it!)
- Spoonfuls of avocado
- Slices of tomato or cucumber
- And as a finishing touch – crumbles of cheese
Or…just serve them as they are in a cute basket or on a wooden board and let everyone dig in! They’re so yum either way, it just depends on the occasion and how you feel.
Also perfect to pile up on a snack platter with a bowl of healthy dip in the centre, break them up or leave them whole. They’re great for transporting guacamole or hummus to your mouth! Try my 5 Minute Avocado Basil Hummus recipe as a tasty accompaniment to these Easy Crunchy Mustard Herb Flatbreads.
We’ve got two more recipes in this Baking Healthy Bread series, so check back for them soon! And in the meantime, happy flatbread grilling. Let me know what you think of them in the comments.
- FOR THE FLATBREADS:
- 3 cups gluten free flour (or plain flour)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- ¾ tsp hot english mustard
- 1½ cups coconut milk
- FOR THE HERB OIL:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 heaped tsp dried mixed herbs
- Set oven to 250°C.
- Place all flatbread ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir together with a wooden spoon, eventually using your hands to bring the dough together into a ball.
- On a clean, floured surface, knead the dough for about a minute.
- Now divide the dough in half, then each half into 5 equal pieces and roll them into balls. On the floured surface, roll the dough balls out with a floured rolling pin until they are about 3mm thick and 10cm round.
- Using a sharp knife, cut 5 lines into each flatbread, leaving about 3cm on the edges.
- Grill the flatbreads on a baking tray for about 6 minutes on each side, they should be going golden and puffing up. Don’t grill them for too long or they will become very crunchy.
- Mix the olive oil and herbs together in a small bowl, and brush over the flatbreads when they come out the oven.
- Serve and enjoy!