How about a French stew inspired Vegetarian Tomato Mushroom Lentil Ragout for lunch?!
This makes such a hearty and scrumptious meal for lunch or dinner with the family, or a great quick and easy dish when your friends come over and you don’t have time to spend ages cooking up a storm. They’ll never know though because all the favours are there and SO much GOODNESS too!!
A few more simple meals for you are my One Pot Mustard Coconut Chicken Skillet with Quinoa, my Hearty Black Pepper Mushroom Chickpea Soup, my Clean Eating Carrot Turmeric Ginger Soup, and my Chicken Pasta with Herby Avocado Pesto Sauce.
I’m often looking for ways to get two servings of legumes a week, and this bowl of absolute healthy goodness is one of the best ways to do it I can assure you….It’s rich in tomato flavour, studded with mushrooms, green peppers and onions, and infused with minced garlic and fresh basil. How much more delicious can it get?
Add a loaf of french bread or some savoury scones or polenta or a side salad and you’ve got yourself a complete, casual yet delicious meal in minutes…That’s my kinda cooking!
I’m going to feast on a big bowl of Vegetarian Tomato Mushroom Lentil Ragout for lunch today and I’ll have a happy and satisfied tummy all the way until dinner time! We are taking my aunt (who is visiting from Spain) out for drinks and supper overlooking the ocean this evening. I plan to take lots of pics, and enjoy every minute of the beautiful views and yummy food!
I hope you all have some fun plans for tonight and the weekend ahead….perhaps a little dash to the kitchen to whip up a big pot of Lentil Ragout will feature?!? I think that’s a great idea. And all the better if you have some family and friends over to share it with.
Let me know what you think of it, I’ll be waiting to hear your opinions!!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 green pepper finely chopped
- 250g button mushrooms finely chopped
- 1 400g tin chopped tomato
- 6 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 small handful fresh basil roughly chopped
- 1½ cups black lentils
- 3½ cups water
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and fry the onions and garlic until glassy and fragrant. Add the green pepper and mushrooms and fry for about 3 minutes, stirring often.
- Pour in the chopped tomato and tomato paste along with the fresh basil and stir in. Then stir in the lentils and water, bring to the boil then turn the heat down to medium low so that the ragout simmers for about 30 minutes until the lentils are tender and the sauce is quite thick.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve with polenta, bread or even on its own!