Fill me with goodness & make me well Healthy Homemade Celery Carrot Chicken Soup!
For some reason I always think of Chicken Soup when I’m under the weather, as I have been this week. Probably because it’s what you see on TV….when someone is sick…you give them Chicken Soup!
Made with onions, garlic, carrots, celery, dried herbs, fresh basil, chicken broth and chicken breasts – SO chicken-y and vegetable-y = YUM.
A few more comfort recipes I highly recommend are my Cozy Up Tomato Butternut Squash Soup, my Lentil, Sweet Potato & Tomato Stew and my Hearty Black Pepper Mushroom Chickpea Soup – all packed with goodness, you’ll be as fit as a fiddle in no time!
Back to this gorgeous Healthy Homemade Celery Carrot Chicken Soup! Not only does it look amazing and taste amazing when you’re a little full of cold…but it’s SO good I eat this soup absolutely anytime! Winter, Spring, Summer, Autumn – there is no time of year that this soup isn’t a perfect weeknight go to dinner, or a quick & easy recipe for Sunday nights.
Yesterday was the first time I actually made Chicken Soup for myself when I’ve been sick, and you know what? It really does make you feel a little bit better I have to say!! It’s so easy to eat (especially if you have a sore throat) because it’s quite similar to a broth and the vegetables are nice and tender.
Your whole family will enjoy this soup and you will know they’re getting their veggies and protein all in one scrummy bowl.
So whether you’re recovering from a good old fashioned bout of influenza (like me), or you just feel like a simple, tasty dish to prepare tonight – I suggest you give this soup a try, you’ll love it!!
Recipe time!!! Happy cooking fellow food lovers!
- 2 chicken breasts
- Olive oil
- Dried herbs
- Black pepper
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 large clove garlic finely chopped
- 2 carrots finely chopped
- 3 sticks celery finely sliced
- 2 sprigs fresh basil
- 1 cup chicken broth (low sodium)
- 1 cup boiling water
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- Place the chicken breasts on a sheet of silver foil and brush them on both sides with olive oil, sprinkle on both sides with generous amounts of dried herbs and black pepper. Wrap the chicken up in the silver foil ensuring no juices will be able to seep out.
- Bake the chicken in the middle of the oven for 25 minutes.
- Fry the onions and garlic in 1 tbsp olive oil until glassy. Then add the celery and carrots and fry for about 1 minute. Now pour in the chicken broth, the cup of boiling water and the basil sprigs. Simmer on a medium heat for 20 minutes until the carrots are tender.
- Take the chicken out of the silver foil and using two forks, pull the chicken apart until it is finely shredded . Add the chicken to the soup and stir in.
- Pour into bowls and enjoy hot!