Dairy free, sugar free & totally scrumptious!
These muffins are up there with the best of them! Light and fluffy, full of healthy goodness, a little soft crunch from the apple and SO CHOCOLATEY…There’s nothing but love.
A perfect breakfast option, they are brilliant for lunch boxes or after school snacks. Such a healthy treat, and so yummy!! Made with brown flour, olive oil, bananas, apple and dates. More muffin recipes you will love are my Banana Pecan & Cinnamon Muffins and my Orange & Strawberry Breakfast Muffins – both sugar free and good for you.
These Healthy Chocolate Banana & Apple Muffins are sugar free, dairy free and nut free, the perfect go to muffin if you’re not sure of peoples dietary requirements. These would be perfect for kids parties drizzled with some sugar free chocolate icing, or a ladies tea get together.
I made 10 large muffins, the mixture will make 12 medium muffins or 20 mini muffins which would be perfect for parties.
I really love making sweet treats that taste amazing and are completely healthy, it’s a little more challenging to develop the recipe sometimes and get it just right, but SO worth it in the end!! I’m going to be enjoying these Healthy Chocolate Banana & Apple Muffins on a regular basis.
Let’s get cooking!! Tell me what you think in the comments, I hope you love these little nuggets of chocolate banana delight!
- 1 apple (I used Granny Smith)
- ⅓ cup dried dates
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ½ cup hot water
- 3 bananas
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups brown flour
- Set oven to 180°C and lightly grease a muffin pan or line the pan with paper cases.
- Peel and chop the apple up into very small cubes then chop the dates up into small pieces, place in a large mixing bowl with the vanilla, bicarbonate of soda and hot water, stir and set aside.
- In another bowl mash the bananas, stir in the olive oil and honey. Lightly beat the eggs and stir into the banana mixture.
- Stir the cocoa into the banana mixture with a metal spoon and then add the apple mixture a little at a time alternatively with the flour and mix in.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin pan or paper cases and bake for about 25 minutes until a tester stick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool on a cooling rack before you serve them. Eating them hot out the oven is also allowed!