A melt in the mouth lemon explosion!
This cake certainly packs a flavour punch – it’s Lemony friends!! VERY Lemony. But in the best possible balanced and harmonious symphony-in-the-mouth kind of way.
The cake itself is light. It’s silky smooth. It’s almost like eating lemony air….Ok not quite, but almost!! In cake world that is. I’m very fond of lemon – give me anything with lemon and I’m a happy girl. But this Lemon Drizzle Loaf Cake tops them all for me. The perfect lemon sweet treat is what this is!
If you’re lemon crazy like me (in the best way!) you will really LOVE this Lemon Drizzle Silk Cake with Cream Cheese Icing. And if fruity desserts make your heart sing in general then this Baked Vanilla Cheesecake with Cherry Coulis and these Mini Lemon & Ginger Cheesecakes with Peach Coulis will be just right for you!
And the second best part (apart from how amazing it tastes of course) is that it’s one of the easiest and quickest cakes to prepare that I’ve ever made. In just 15 minutes you will have this cake nestled in a nice hot oven, and 40 minutes later it’s cooked to golden brown on the outside, light and fluffy on the inside dotted with lemon rind perfection.
Another thing I love about this cake is that there is just ONE bowl to wash up. I know we all love that! Toss all the ingredients into one bowl, beat on medium high for 3 minutes, pour into the loaf tin and bake. It doesn’t get any easier than that.
I think it’s safe to say I’m in love with this Lemon Drizzle Loaf Cake, I’m sure you will be too once you try it. Which you should do right now….Really. Here’s the recipe!
- FOR THE CAKE:
- ½ cup butter at room temperature
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 cup cake flour
- ½ cup cornflour
- 1½ level tsp BP
- 2 eggs
- 125ml coconut milk
- Rind of 1 lemon
- FOR THE LEMON DRIZZLE:
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp honey
- Juice and rind of 1 lemon
- TO MAKE THE CAKE:
- Set the oven to 160°C and grease and flour a loaf tin.
- Beat all ingredients together (except the lemon rind) with an electric beater for 3 mins. Then stir in the lemon rind and pour the batter into the loaf tin.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 40 minutes or until a tester stick comes out clean.
- TO MAKE THE LEMON DRIZZLE:
- Put the sugar, lemon juice and rind in a small pot and heat until the sugar dissolves. Taste it for the right balance of sweet to sour and add a little more sugar or honey if it’s too sour.
- When you take the cake out of the oven, poke some holes in the cake with a skewer, about half way to the bottom, before pouring over the lemon drizzle.
- Allow the cake to cool in the loaf tin and then turn out onto a cooling rack to cool completely before serving.