Sugar, gluten, dairy and egg free One Bowl Pistachio Ginger Snaps
These One Bowl Pistachio Ginger Snaps are vegan, they’re crunchy, honey sweetened and deliciously GINGERY!
They’re everything we expect from a Ginger Snap!
The cherry on top is that they’re generously dotted with pistachio nuts, chopped into little bits and pressed into the cookie rounds before they’re baked. They come out of the oven after just 5 minutes of baking a deep golden-brown, studded with gloriously green-golden pistachio nuts…
Ahhhh…These Ginger Snaps are heaven-sent.
Also check out my Chocolate Peanut Butter Crunchies, Spiced Festive Ginger & Syrup Cookies, Gran’s Original Golden Tea Time Crunchies, my Healthy Oatmeal Raisin Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies and my Apricot & Cranberry No Bake Bars.
The trick to these One Bowl Pistachio Ginger Snaps is to press them down onto the baking sheet so that they’re really thin, this is how you will achieve that “snap”, this is what will make them crunchy and oh so perfect…Perfect for dunking in a hot cup of tea or coffee too – Just sayin.
Now, with all things gluten free there is one teeny tiny draw-back. And that is that these Snaps are best eaten the day you make them – they’re perfectly crunchy and all the flavours are DIVINE!
So! If you’re making them for a party or get-together of some sort, make them on the day.
BUT, if they’re just for you, there is nothing to stop you from storing them in an air-tight container and enjoying them the next day, they just won’t have quite the same “snap”, and the middle of the cookie will be a bit softer than on day one. All the flavours are still there.
Right, if these cookies are free of SO many things, WHAT are they made with, you ask?
- Almond flour and coconut flour, YUM and YUM
- Ground ginger and ground cinnamon, two of the BEST spices (IMHO)
- Pistachios, is there a better or prettier nut?
- Honey and vanilla essence, to add that necessary sweetness
- Coconut oil and bicarb or soda, because – essentials
So quick and easy, so simple, and SO GOOD! Your taste buds and your tummy will thank you for eating these YUMMY and healthy One Bowl Pistachio Ginger Snaps!
A little tip worth mentioning:
When pressing the batter down onto the baking sheet into rounds, it doesn’t hold together like a traditional cookie batter (because – no flour!). I found the best way to make fairly even round shapes was to take a spoonful of the batter and roll it into a tight ball in my hands, really pressing the batter together.
Then placing the ball of cookie dough on the parchment paper, and pressing the batter down with my fingers…it will break apart at the edges, but I just pushed the edges back in with my fingers to make them smooth again, and then pressed the cookie down flatter, until I had about a 5mm thick cookie in a somewhat-even, round shape.
This method worked really well, and once you get the hang of it, it’s really easy! Promise.
When you give these One Bowl Pistachio Ginger Snaps a try, let me know! I want to hear all about it.
Let’s get baking!
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup pistachio nuts, finely chopped
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 3 tbsp honey
- ⅓ cup + 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, stir together the almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon and half of the pistachio nuts.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in the vanilla essence, honey and coconut oil, stirring from the middle outwards to incorporate the dry ingredients slowly.
- Once combined, roll the mixture into tight balls, place on the baking sheet and press down flat with your fingers. They should be about 5mm thick. Sprinkle the remaining chopped pistachio nuts on top and press them down into the cookies.
- Bake for 5 minutes until golden brown. You may need to do two batches. Allow to cool completely on the baking tray before serving. They will crisp up as they cool. Enjoy!