Posed on May 29 2020
A wonderful vegetarian quiche made with a potato “crust” (gluten free), loaded with fresh veggies and baked to a creamy consistency thanks to the coconut milk and eggs. Perfect Dairy Free Veggie Quiche is the absolute BEST homemade quiche you will make!
No sautéing required, just bake “crust”, grate or chop vegetables, beat egg mixture, throw it all together and cook to perfection.
No mess, no fuss.
And NO rubbery quiche happening here today folks, or ever again!
I must confess – it took me a minute to figure out the secret to a creamy smooth, “soft and not chewy” consistency when it comes to making quiche.
I’ve discovered through lots of trial and error, over many years…That the factors involved are as follows:
- Egg to creamy ingredient ratio is key (in this case coconut milk)
- Veggie to egg ratio also plays a huge role
- Don’t over-cook! Essential
SO, if you don’t want to fall into the rubbery-quiche trap ever again…
Here’s what you need to know about making Perfect Dairy Free Veggie Quiche:
- A potato crust is the business. All you do is peel and slice the potatoes, toss in olive oil and salt, line quiche dish, overlapping the slices slightly and bake until tender.
- Beat 5 eggs and 1 cup coconut milk together, then beat in turmeric, cayenne pepper and a generous pinch of Himalayan pink salt (good for you! – full of essential trace minerals and such)
- Grate and chop vegetables of choice, place in baked potato “crust”, pour over egg mixture and bake up until cooked through and no longer wobbly, don’t be tempted to cook for an extra 10 minutes once it looks done, this will take you back into rubbery-land, and we don’t want that.
I used grated zucchini (courgette), grated butternut squash, and broccoli chopped nice and small.
You can use any veggies that you love, but if using denser vegetables like butternut, pumpkin, potato, or any kind of squash, you need to grate them so that they cook sufficiently. And for the other veggies – chop them nice and small.
The beauty of this Perfect Dairy Free Veggie Quiche recipe is that usually when you make quiche you have the extra step of sautéing the vegetables before baking the quiche…
THIS quiche recipe eliminates that step completely which cuts down on prep time – delightful.
Serve as a light vegetarian lunch for your girlfriends with a beautiful salad, or as part of a larger meal like a brunch or picnic.
You could even eat this vegetable quiche for breakfast if you wanted to! It’s a little bit like a frittata after all 😉
If you happen to have leftovers (doubtful), this quiche can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. It can be frozen in the same way.
Well, I’m off to gobble up the remaining piece of Perfect Dairy Free Veggie Quiche for my lunch! (My significant other doesn’t like quiche (weird), so all the more for me!! Usually this kind of attitude towards my food would make me a little sad, but on this occasion, I’m totally okay with it, lol).
On that note, I’ll leave you with the recipe for this utterly delicious quiche, and good vibes for a wonderful weekend!
Happy healthy cooking everyone. If you love this recipe, leave me a comment, I’d love to hear from you.
Also, if you make this quiche, share a photo with me by tagging me on Instagram! @berry_sweet_life
A no sauté vegetarian quiche with potato “crust” (gluten free), filled with fresh veggies and baked to a creamy consistency thanks to the coconut milk.
- 2 medium potatoes , peeled and sliced into rounds
- 2 tbsp olive oil , or avocado oil
- 5 large eggs
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- generous pinch Himalayan pink salt
- 4 cups veggies you love, chopped small or grated (I used approximately 2 cups grated zucchini, 1 cup grated butternut and 1 cup chopped broccoli)
Preheat oven to 220°C (428°F).
In a bowl, toss the potato slices with olive oil and a pinch of salt until evenly coated. In a round oven dish or pie dish, create a “crust” with the potato slices by placing them over the base and around the sides, overlapping a little bit. Bake for 12 minutes or until tender. Turn oven down to 180°C (350°F).
Beat eggs and coconut milk. Beat in turmeric, cayenne pepper and salt.
Place veggies in cooked potato “crust”, pour over egg mixture, press veggies down and bake 40 – 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the quiche comes out clean.
Serve with a salad, or as part of a larger meal like a brunch or picnic.
If you are using denser veggies like butternut or pumpkin, it’s best to grate them so they cook sufficiently.