A super healthy Cous Cous Salad to start the new year off right!
Happy New Year everyone! This is the time of year “a fresh start” comes to mind more than any other time. I’m not big on new years’ resolutions, I think any time is a good time to make positive change in one’s life. But as this year starts I feel the need more than ever to be conscious about what I put in my body and how what I’m eating makes me feel on a daily basis.
A few months ago I wrote about how I managed to overcome headaches and a lack of energy by changing my eating habits. You can read all about it here.
I’ve been starting my days off right with a hearty yet healthy breakfast every morning, oatmeal with fruit and plain greek yoghurt drizzled with a little honey & spices, or a delicious fruit smoothie. And I’ve found I have oodles of energy and literally don’t feel the least bit hungry until lunch time.
This is a new thing for me! I used to hit a low around 10:30am every day and need to snack. So breakfast really is the most important meal of the day!! I’ll be sharing lots of healthy, easy and scrummy breakfast ideas with you this year.
Not to mention lunch and dinner recipes, my head is just spinning with possibilities of how to make really good nutritious meals that are quick & easy and taste absolutely divine.
When I’m pushed for time Cous Cous salad is a life saver! It literally takes 5 minutes and it’s ready to serve. Of course what you put with it takes a little time but this salad basically makes itself. You just have to check on the veggies once half way through cooking, whizz up the pesto dressing then toss it all together. The flavours are so complimentary and mouth-wateringly good!
This recipe makes a large Cous Cous salad – you can halve it if you’re cooking for 4. Or just pop the leftovers in the fridge for tomorrow, it keeps well in an airtight container for a few days.
Want more healthy recipes? Try my Pecan Cranberry & Avocado Salad with Orange Dressing, my Brinjal Mushroom & Mozarella Lasagne. For breakfast try my Banana Pecan & Cinnamon Muffins (Sugar Free), my Blueberry Orange & Paw Paw Smoothie or my Pawpaw Strawberry & Peanut Butter Breakfast Smoothie.
Here’s to a super healthy and happy year, the best is yet to come!
- FOR THE SALAD
- 1 small butternut squash
- 1 red pepper
- 1 green pepper
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Salt & black pepper
- 200g cous cous
- FOR THE PESTO DRESSING:
- 1 handful parsley
- 1 handful basil
- 3 tbsp plain greek yoghurt
- 1 small avocado
- Salt & black pepper
- TO MAKE THE SALAD:
- Set oven to 190°C.
- Peel the butternut squash and cut in half long ways, spoon out the seeds and place them on a baking tray. Cut the butternut into rough cubes and place on the baking tray with the seeds.
- Roughly cut the peppers into square pieces, not too small because they do shrivel a bit with cooking. Place on baking tray with the butternut and drizzle with the olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and place in the oven to roast for about 45 minutes. Turn halfway through.
- While the vegetables are cooking, prepare your Cous Cous as per instructions on the box. When done, stir through a drizzle of olive oil and a pinch of salt, set aside to cool.
- Gently toss the butternut, seeds and peppers in with the Cous Cous, stir through the dressing, pile the salad up high on a plate so you can see all the lovely colours.
- Garnish with some fresh herb sprigs and serve.
- TO MAKE THE PESTO DRESSING:
- Blend all ingredients together, pour over salad.