Posted on May 6 2020
A gut-loving breakfast smoothie that’s nourishing, SO creamy and tasty and will keep you full for hours! The Creamy Blueberry Oatmeal Smoothie is vegan, takes 5 minutes to make and is so delicious that even your kids will wolf it down.
By far my FAVOURITE oatmeal fruit smoothie combo.
Like a lot of my recipes, I thought of this concoction while trying to fall asleep one night. In my half-asleep state, I was convinced it would be delicious, and I wasn’t wrong!
Here’s what’s in a Creamy Blueberry Oatmeal Smoothie:
- Fresh or frozen blueberries, I use frozen
- 2 large, ripe bananas
- Coconut milk, for that creamy-creamy-ness! + Some optional organic yoghurt if you’re not vegan
- Oats, try soaking them overnight in water if your tummy tends to react a little strangely to them, this definitely works for me!
- Sunflower, chia and sesame seeds, or any seeds you like
- Nut butter of choice
- Ceylon cinnamon
Blend everything together for about 30 seconds, or until smooth, and there you go! (Obviously the recipe can be doubled or tripled to serve more people).
Pour the creamy, virtual hug of absolute deliciousness into glasses.
More smoothies you will love: Immune Boosting Grapefruit Banana Smoothie, Glowing Skin Strawberry Lemon Smoothie, 5 Minute Spinach Apple Green Smoothie, Antioxidant Berry Blaze Smoothie, Berry Good Kale Green Smoothie, Cacao Blueberry Dessert Smoothie, Chocolate Cinnamon Coconut Smoothie.
What a fantastic way to start the day.
Why this smoothie is GUT-LOVING:
- OATS are a long-time gut-loving food, they are a source of prebiotic fibre that live probiotics use to promote their growth. Think of prebiotics as ‘probiotic boosters’. Including both types in your diet ensures that you are covering all bases when it comes to being good to your gut.
- BANANAS supply the prebiotic type of fibre that nourishes the ‘good’ bacteria in your gut. And they pair so perfectly with oats!
- BLUEBERRIES are full of fibre, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals that benefit the whole body.
- SEEDS contain healthy monounsaturated fats, polyunsaturated fats and many important vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. They are a simple way to add more plant fibre into your diet, and fibre is so important for gut health!
Side Note: YOGHURT (dairy, raw, organic) is a great source of probiotics, so if you’re not vegan or dairy intolerant, you might think about adding a few tablespoons to this smoothie to create a dynamic duo of prebiotics and probiotics!
Moment of honesty: We were on holiday for a WHOLE month over Christmas (in Sri Lanka – check out my travel posts for details – such a beautiful place!), and WELL, I did my best, but eating healthily was a bit challenging, plus it’s okay to indulge on vacation.
But, a few months into this year I realised I hadn’t fully returned to my usual healthy eating patterns. I like to eat 100% clean from Monday to Friday and then have a couple of treats over the weekend. This works well for me and it’s the only way I feel good on a daily basis.
Long story short, I had to have a “real moment” with myself. LOL. I wasn’t feeling well, I didn’t have good energy levels and I was quite moody and emotional…This always points to one thing for me -> FOOD. I truly am what I eat.
So! Two weeks ago I pulled myself together and cut out all sugar and refined carbs. I have been eating 100% whole foods for two weeks, and I cannot even describe to you how much BETTER I feel. It truly does amaze me every time. The best part? I’m loving food again.
Our relationship to food is such an important part of life, and overall health – mind and body.
It’s different for everyone, but it’s so worth finding out what works for you when it comes to what you put in your body. Feeling WELL is incredibly important.
If you’re still reading, thank you!
And I know you must be as sold as I am on this gut-friendly Creamy Blueberry Oatmeal Smoothie!!
Try it. Try it so soon. You’re gonna LOVE IT.
I’m totally excited to have this smoothie again tomorrow. And maybe the next day.
Fill that body of yours with ALL the good, natural, grown-in-the-actual-earth foods, and see and FEEL yourself transform…
Happy smoothie making, and all the feel-good vibes from me to you, until next time!
Here’s the easy recipe…
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats , try soaking overnight if you react strangely to oats
- 2 large bananas
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries , frozen or fresh
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp nut butter of choice
- 4 tbsp protein powder of choice , I use whey
- 1 tbsp Ceylon cinnamon
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsp chia seeds , soaked overnight
Blend everything together until smooth and creamy, pour into two glasses and enjoy for breakfast or as an energy boosting, gut-healthy snack!
If you’re not vegan or dairy intollerant, add 3 – 4 tbsp raw, organic yoghurt for a dynamic duo of prebiotics and probiotics.
I keep a little jar of soaked chia seeds in the fridge that I prepare at the start of the week, so that they’re ready to use in smoothies every morning.
You can also make this smoothie with strawberries or mixed berries for a bit of variation.