This zucchini quiche is everything a summer quiche should be…
I think we may finalllllly be heading into summer over here on the south-east edge of Africa. I say this hesitantly because every time I think it, another few days of rain and chilly winds roll in….But as I look up from my little perch on the balcony this morning there are blue skies and only a few wispy white clouds – so I’m hopeful!
Back to the quiche of the day – Light yet creamy, packed with vegetables and a light crumble of feta cheese to round off the flavours, this has been one of my favourite quiches to make for a while…and it never gets old.
The Phyllo pastry gives it such a thin, barely there base and adds a delightful crunch around the golden brown edges. The zucchini, onion & feta filling is teaming with flavours that compliment each other to a T.
Maybe the greatest thing about this quiche is that it’s scrumptious straight out the oven, but it only gets better! You can easily prepare and cook it the day before, keep it in the fridge overnight & pop it in the oven covered with silver foil until it’s hot and ready to eat. Or serve it cold cut up into squares. The choice is yours, it really is good both ways.
Left overs are perfect for packed lunches for adults and kiddies alike.
Looking for more summery quiche inspiration? Check out my butternut & red pepper quiche with potato base – this one is pastry free and packs a punch in the flavour department!
- 700g Zucchinis
- 2 large onions
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 8 eggs
- Salt & Pepper
- 140g feta cheese
- 250g roll of phyllo pastry
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Dice onions, mince garlic and fry in a large saucepan in the olive oil until garlic is fragrant.
- Slice up zucchinis, add to the onions and fry until cooked through. Set aside to cool.
- Grease a 30x20cm baking dish with olive oil and line it with the phyllo pastry. I used 3 layers - brush each layer with a little olive oil before you add the next layer.
- Add eggs and salt & pepper to the zucchini and onions & mix in.
- Slice, grate or crumble the cheese into the mixture, saving a little for the top.
- Pour filling into the baking dish, add set aside cheese on the top and bake for about 35 minutes until cooked through.