Posted on July 12 2018
The BEST quick and easy tomato soup recipe made with canned tomatoes, red kidney beans and lots of fresh veggies! This will be my go-to Simple Soup recipe from this day forward, and I know you are going to LOVE this Awesome Chunky Tomato Bean Soup!
Trust me now, this soup is TASTY, you really WANT this soup in your life.
In fact you actually need this soup in your life because it’s so quick and easy to make, it’s thick and delicious, everyone will love it and they’ll love you for making it. AND it’s super nutritious… Win, win, win, win. That’s 4 wins.
You will also enjoy my Amazing Indian Vegetable Lentil Soup, my Clean Eating Carrot Turmeric Ginger Soup, my Cozy Up Tomato & Butternut Squash Soup, my Healthy Homemade Celery Carrot Chicken Soup, my Hearty Black Pepper Mushroom Chickpea Soup, my Nutritious Red Pepper Carrot Soup, my Simple Cauliflower Potato Celery Soup and my Wonderful Homemade Vegetable Soup.
This recipe is vegan, vegetarian, gluten free and so so healthy.
Don’t let that fool you into thinking that it’s not filling and comforting and tasty and alllll those GOOD things that homemade tomato soup should be, rolled into one itty bitty, easy peasy recipe.
From me, to you, with lots of foodie love. Pleasure!
What’s this Awesome Chunky Tomato Bean Soup made with?
- Canned whole cherry tomatoes (the healthy kind with no added sugar, salt etc etc)
- Canned tomato puree (ditto)
- Red kidney beans – YUM
- Chopped fresh carrots (you can do frozen)
- Diced onion and a healthy amount of minced garlic cloves to get those flavours singing
- Vegetable broth, more yummy flavour (use low sodium)
- Dried basil and origanum, you can use fresh if you like!
By all means make this soup with fresh tomatoes if you have the time to cook them down first!
Side Note: I have tried this soup with a few handfuls of baby spinach, just wilted into the soup at the end of cooking time…ANNND a few small dollops of cream cheese that melted gloriously into the soup and created a kind of “cream of tomato soup” wonderfulness. It was an experiment well done, I really enjoyed it. You’ll like it too.
It was an Awesome Chunky Tomato Bean Soup dream come true moment!
But I have to say, I loved it just as much as is with a warm, thick slice of my Honey Butternut Carrot Bread (pictured below)- just leave out the honey and add a little salt and pepper and you’ve got yourself a savoury homemade loaf of bread – PERFECT for any hearty soup!
I also have visions of making a huge saucepan of wholewheat pasta and using this thick soup as a tomato pasta sauce! I’ll have to report back, but I’m pretty sure it will be AMAZING.
So why is tomato soup so healthy? For these reasons:
- Weight loss – because it’s low in energy density, which is helpful because you can eat a larger volume of soup for fewer calories – so you feel full, with less calorie intake!
- Mental health – the high concentrations of copper in tomato soup boost the nervous system.
- it’s believed that a single tomato can provide about 40% of the daily vitamin C requirement (which makes tomato soup great for a cold! – And this recipe is dairy free so it’s good for a sore throat)
- Tomatoes contain vitamin A, potassium, selenium and iron which is essential for maintaining blood health.
This soup will last in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 5 days, and it can be frozen and thawed out when needed.
There is officially nothing more to say about this Awesome Chunky Tomato Bean Soup, except that it’s wonderful and you need to try it soon!
The BEST quick and easy, healthy tomato soup recipe made with canned tomatoes, red kidney beans and lots of fresh veggies!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion , finely chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic , minced
- 2 large carrots , chopped
- 400 g can whole cherry tomatoes
- 200 g can tomato puree
- 3 cups vegetable broth , low sodium
- 1 tsp dried sweet basil
- 1 tsp dried origanum
- Salt and ground black pepper , to taste
- 2 tsp honey , to taste (if needed)
- 4 tbsp cornflour , dissolved in a little warm water (optional)
- 400 g can red kidney beans , drained and rinsed
Heat olive oil in a large saucepan. Fry onion, garlic and carrots until fragrant, about 5 minutes.
Add the cherry tomatoes, tomato puree, vegetable broth and herbs. Simmer on a medium-low heat for about 20 minutes or until the carrots are tender. Stir in the cornflour mixture (optional), and simmer until the soup is thick and glassy.
Add salt and pepper to taste, and depending on the tartness of the tomatoes it may need 1 - 2 tsp honey to balance the acidity.
Stir in the kidney beans, spoon into soup bowls and serve hot.
- For a thin, brothy soup, leave out the cornflour
- Add a couple of generous handfuls of baby spinach right at the end of cooking time and allow to wilt before serving for a healthy dose of greens.
- This soup is delicious with any of my homemade breads - try my No Knead Multi-Seed Potato Bread, or my Simple Zucchini Feta Soda Bread, or my Honey Butternut Carrot Bread (leave out the honey, add a little salt and pepper and you'll have a delicious savoury loaf - perfect for any soup!)