Healthy Honey Butternut Carrot Bread!
So here’s the deal folks, I’ve been inspired to make 6 healthy bread recipes over the next two weeks – that’s 6 healthy breads of different shapes, sizes and flavours that are full of wholesome, nourishing and delicious ingredients. No funny business, just natural goodness.
Here’s what you can expect:
- The sweet breads will be sugar free
- Every loaf will be chocker block with either fresh veggies, or fresh fruit
- Some breads will be dairy free
- Some breads will be gluten free
- There will be something for everyone
- ALL breads will TASTE AMAZING and be EASY TO MAKE!
Here’s a confession…I LOVE bread. All kinds, shapes, sizes, flavours, I’m a recovering bread-a-holic. But bread doesn’t always love me back. I’m sure many of us are in the same boat on this one. I want to create a series of bread recipes that are far more friendly on our tummies, and our hips! So that every now and then (note to self – try not to make this every day!!) when we really feel like a slice of bread, we have some super healthy options up our sleeves.
Let’s get started with the first recipe in the series!
It’s a healthy, spicy, slightly sweet loaf of Honey Butternut Carrot Bread freshly baked from scratch and so good you’ll want to make it again and again!
No sugar, dairy or white flour in this recipe. Only wholesome goodness…which makes it the perfect breakfast / brunch bread, amazing for lunch boxes, to take to work, or a delicious anytime snack. It’s made with pureed butternut, grated carrot, eggs, honey, wholewheat flour, olive oil, baking soda, spices, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and a little salt.
For more healthy bread recipes try my No Knead Multi-Seed Potato Bread, my Simple Zucchini Feta Soda Bread, my Easy Crunchy Mustard Herb Flatbreads, my Banana Nut Chocolate Chip Bread and my Wholewheat Pecan Date Chai-Tea Ring.
This bread is so lightly sweetened that you can eat it with savoury foods and it’s completely delicious! I had my slice with tomato chutney and grated cheese and it was AWESOME. I love the versatility that brings…serve it with sugar free jams and honey for a sweet breakfast, or with cheese and chutney with a savoury brunch.
For a really savoury loaf, leave out the honey all together, add a pinch more salt, ground black pepper and switch out the spices for mixed herbs…You’ve got yourself a totally savoury variation. So Lovely!
While I still think of bread as a twice, maybe three times a week type of food, I love that with these new recipes we will be making bread that actually ADDS something to our healthy lifestyle rather than taking away from it. That’s something to get excited about I would say!!
Let’s celebrate by popping into the kitchen and whipping up our first (second, third?!) loaf of Honey Butternut Carrot Bread! I’m so excited to see what you think of it, let me know in the comments!
- 2 cups butternut puree (1 medium butternut)
- 1 cup grated carrot (1 large carrot)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ⅓ cup honey
- 1¼ cups wholewheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- 1½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- Preheat oven to 175°C and grease and lightly flour a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan.
- Slice the butternut into cubes and steam for about 15 minutes until very soft. Puree (Blend until very smooth).
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the butternut, grated carrot, eggs, olive oil and honey.
- In a separate bowl, place the flour, baking soda, salt, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, ground cloves and ground ginger and stir together.
- Stir the butternut mixture into the dry ingredients until well combined. Pour the mixture into the loaf pan, top with a few sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds (optional).
- Bake for about 50 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.